Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

I recently found this beer at a local supermarket here in Houston (Kroger's). The only reason it caught my eye was because a certain member, cubby_swans, keeps raving about it. As curiosity would have it, I picked up a sixer and headed to the checkout only to find out it was $8.99...... I decided to take it anyway. This is the first time I have ever seen this beer in this area, so they may be testing out the market. But I have to say, that was DAMN GOOD BEER.

With that being said, I have a problem now. No liquor store (independent or big chain) has heard of it, thus cannot order any kegs. The thought of driving 850 miles to get a keg didn't sound so appealing (it did cross my mind though, I have some distant family in the area).

My question is, for those of you that have had it, is there anything similar that I might be able to pick up??

Example = Shock Top ~ to Blue Moon

Any input is welcome, thanks again
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

This isn't as good as Boulevard Wheat (which isn't the best wheat beer IMHO), but it is good and should be available to a Texan such as yourself. Shiner Beers | www.shiner.com

And if Boulevard is being sold in Texas they are indeed branching out. A year or so ago I don't think it was available down there.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
      This isn't as good as Boulevard Wheat (which isn't the best wheat beer IMHO), but it is good and should be available to a Texan such as yourself. Shiner Beers | www.shiner.com

And if Boulevard is being sold in Texas they are indeed branching out. A year or so ago I don't think it was available down there.
      Shiner is probably expanding across the US using mostly my money....lol (I hear they are in Chicago now). My college days at the University of Texas (Austin) were brutal and i'm sure that damn shiner ram had somethin to do with it

I have been through all of what Shiner has to offer and most of the products are pretty good indeed, but I felt that Boulevard was something different. It was remarkably smooth and not too sweet.

So what would you say, in your opinion, is one of the better wheat beers??

Comment

Originally posted by KingPin461 View Post
        So what would you say, in your opinion, is one of the better wheat beers??
        Baldy Beer Brewery Spring Street Wheat is by far the best. But it isn't available in Texas and I only brew 10 gallons of it a year.

Seriously though, I wasn't knocking the Boulevard. It is fine. However I do seem to recall the last time I had it on draught it wasn't as good as the bottled version. Widmer is available in Kansas now in some places, perhaps it has made it to Texas.

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

Boulevard Wheat is an excellent beer and I prefer the draft hands down. I had the good fortune of visiting the brewery in Kansas City a couple of years ago. Now, to your question. I don't know if it's available in TX but "Blue Moon" is very close in taste, body, and finish.

Comment

Blue Moon is readily available in our area, (Coors product right??) I do have to say though, Blue Moon is a tad bit sweeter for my taste.

Comment

Blue moon is supposed to be a Belgian style wheat where Boulevard is an American style. I've not tried AB's Shocktop, I don't know what style it is supposed to be. However I would be surprised if it would be as good as Boulevard.

Speaking of Boulevard. Boulevard has a pale ale that is almost as good as Baldy Beer's Signature Pale Ale. And the pale ale is better on draught than the bottled version. Were I not brewing my own, Boulevard Pale Ale is what I'd have on tap here.

Comment

Shock Top is a Belgian Ale as well. I would say it is eerily similar to Blue Moon, but considerably cheaper. It is still almost as sweet, but doesn't have as much fruit flavoring IMO.

Wish I could get Boulevard here in IN.

Comment

If you liked Boulevard, you'll like pretty much any American wheat beer. I think you got ripped off on the $8.99 price. I've never seen it over $7.99 a sixer, but depends on where you're at I suppose. I pay $120 a keg for it. The Blue Moon and Shock Top are Belgian Wheats, which are flavored with orange and corriander vs the American lemony citrus flavor.

Some other American wheats that come to mind that are more west, and may sell down your way are Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen and Odell's Easy Street Wheat.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Boulevard Houston Distributors

Hi KingPin,

I gave Boulevard a quick call today and they have two distributors in the Houston area.

Faust Distributing 713-673-5111

Houston Distributing 281-583-4800

Good luck finding our local beer in your area. Give the Pale Ale a try, it is my favorite. Both the Pale and Wheat are excellent on tap IMHO!

Have a great weekend!

John

Semper Perfridgius Fermentum

Comment

Originally posted by ksnuclear View Post
                      Hi KingPin,

I gave Boulevard a quick call today and they have two distributors in the Houston area.

Faust Distributing 713-673-5111

Houston Distributing 281-583-4800

Good luck finding our local beer in your area. Give the Pale Ale a try, it is my favorite. Both the Pale and Wheat are excellent on tap IMHO!

Have a great weekend!

John

Semper Perfridgius Fermentum
                      WOW....Thank you so much for the info. I'm definitely going to look into it today. You just made my weekend, thanks a bunch......

Comment

Good Luck!

Let me know how it goes.

John

Comment

Originally posted by ksnuclear View Post
                          Good Luck!

Let me know how it goes.

John
                          Just got off the phone with the first distributor (Faust), and it is available but only in a 1/6 keg and the price was $91.00 They can't get it in a 1/2 barrel for some reason.

Called the other distributor, but the operator said she never heard of it. I doubt she bothered to check cause as soon as a I asked she said "No" I'll probably call back when its not so close to quittin time.

My question is then, does $91.00 sound right for a 1/6 keg??

Comment

Tell them to sharpen thier pencils a bit. I can get 1/6 kegs of Blvd (Pale or Wheat) for 58.00 including taxes here in the KC area. Wheat is definitely available in full kegs as it is their best selling beer. I belive the price for a full keg here is KC is in the ballpark of 120.00. Is it possible the person on the phone was also including the keg deposit?

I know that shipping costs money but that seems like a hefty markup to get the beer to Houston!

Good Luck!

John

Comment

Originally posted by KingPin461 View Post
                              My question is then, does $91.00 sound right for a 1/6 keg??
                              Not remotely. I ordered a 1/2 barrel last time, and a 1/6 barrel showed up instead, which wanted $60 for it. Since 1/2 barrels are $120, I wouldn't buy it, so the store sent it back and got me a 1/2 barrel. Anywho... $91 is high There are only about 55 or so 12oz beers in a sixtel. The only $90 sixtels I've seen here are for big beers like double IPA's that have 9 or 10 (or higher) percent alcohol contents. (Arcadia Ales Hopmouth for $90).

And I am in St. Louis, but you're not so far away from Boulevard that you should be paying 50% more. What do you pay for other stuff? I'd say either your distributor or store is marking it up way too high, or they bring in such a small amount, they have to mark it up that high to recoup the delivery costs.

I would do a little more investigation into other wheat beers. Seriously.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                              X