Question about the Beverage Air BM23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Beverage Air BM23

From everything I hear this seems to be a great unit but I don't see a thing in the specs about what type of thermostat it has, if any??? Bottom line, can I adjust the temperature on this thing? I like my beer cold...ice cold that is, like just a degree above freezing. Can I get that with the BM23? (don't bother getting on my case about that being too cold. I know what I like). I'm also looking at the Micro Matic unit. Is it any better than the BA? Will I be better off to buy one of these digital thermostats with the Kegerator purchase? If so how do they work? Do you have to drill a hole to insert the thermocouple into the refrigeration compartment? Also how do they tie into the unit to control the refrigeration system? I'm not worried about cost here, I simply want to put together the best single tap system I can. Any other suggestion on trick components to make this a great set-up are appreciated. Thanks for any ideas. --RR
    Last edited by the1_roadrunner; 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM.

Yes, there is a temperature control on the BM23. It is located inside up near the evaporator fan. It senses the evaporator temperature & not the air temperature like an aftermarket control would & it works just fine. It is a dial numbered 1 thru 9 with 9 being the coldest setting. You would want to set it at about 4 or 5 to start with & adjust up slowly from there to get where you want. If you start at 9 you run the risk of freezing the evaporator up solid because the compressor would never shut off trying to reach a temp that was too cold. Just make sure you keep the condenser coil, down by the compressor, clean & you will have no problems.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

I have my Bev-air set to 6, which gives me a beer temp of 37 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
        Yes, there is a temperature control on the BM23. It is located inside up near the evaporator fan. It senses the evaporator temperature & not the air temperature like an aftermarket control would & it works just fine. It is a dial numbered 1 thru 9 with 9 being the coldest setting. You would want to set it at about 4 or 5 to start with & adjust up slowly from there to get where you want. If you start at 9 you run the risk of freezing the evaporator up solid because the compressor would never shut off trying to reach a temp that was too cold. Just make sure you keep the condenser coil, down by the compressor, clean & you will have no problems.

THE ICEMAN
        Great info. Thanks guys -RR

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
          you run the risk of freezing the evaporator up solid
          I thought the evaporator couldn't freeze on commercial units that measure the evaporator temperature. The compressor should just turn off until the evaporator fan raises the evaporator temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpt42 View Post
            I thought the evaporator couldn't freeze on commercial units that measure the evaporator temperature. The compressor should just turn off until the evaporator fan raises the evaporator temp.
            It depends on the controls' set points. If it has a cut-out temp that is low enough it will freeze. Also, if there is a dirty condenser the compressor would run continuously trying to reach reach temp & eventually causing the evaporator to freeze. If the compressor never shuts down, it will never defrost.
            Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 06-30-2008, 02:54 AM.
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
            X