Wife Trying to Buy Kegerator Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife Trying to Buy Kegerator Kit

My husband's birthday is next month. I am trying to purchase him the components so that he can make his own kegerator. I know we want a tower top, maybe double on top of a mini fridge. I have spent several hours going to many different website. I need some direction please. Does anyone know what I should get and where? Obviously, we would like it to be cost effective. We live in Portland and if it's cheaper to get local, that cool with me. Any thoughts?

I just want this to be a surprise, otherwise, I am sure my husband would know!

Go to the upper right hand corner of this web site and click on "Buy Beeer Equipment"

You will find everything you need.

Comment

the only part that will be really hard to hide is the new refrigerator/freezer that has been added to the garage

Comment

What to buy?

I realize that there is the buy beer equipment up above. That is how I got to this forum. I am just not sure what mini refrigerator to buy and what kegerator kit? It seems like there are so many choices? This is what I am looking for help on. There are a bunch of add-ons etc. I just don't know exactly what to purchase!

I can hide it at the in-laws house!

Comment

What is your budget? How much space do you have to work with? How handy is Hubby & does he really want to build it himself?

We gots ta know!
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Most mini fridges won't work for conversions. Full size fridges and std chest/upright freezers are great candidates for conversions, but the freezers will require temp control modifications. Post up your budget and space limitations and we can steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Small Budget Small Space

We only have room for a mini refrigerator. We already have a full size in the house, of course and a full size freezer in the garage. I don't think we could fit another full size!

Husband and my father are really handy. They are installing our hardwood floors this weekend. There really isn't anything they can't do. My Dad at least has been doing fabrication forever! Yes, he mentioned that he wanted to "make" one.

I would say I would like to spend $350-400 or somewhere in that range!

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by homebrewwife View Post
                We only have room for a mini refrigerator. We already have a full size in the house, of course and a full size freezer in the garage. I don't think we could fit another full size!

Husband and my father are really handy. They are installing our hardwood floors this weekend. There really isn't anything they can't do. My Dad at least has been doing fabrication forever! Yes, he mentioned that he wanted to "make" one.

I would say I would like to spend $350-400 or somewhere in that range!

Thank you again!
                I think there's maybe a few mini fridges that are big enough to be converted, and they're not cheap, and then spending $200+ on the conversion parts. If you're going for the mini-fridge size/look, I honestly believe you are better off going with a pre-built kegerator.

The only way you're going to get into the $350-$400 range is if you were to buy a used fullsize refrigerator or freezer for $100 or so and then convert that.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

^Ditto. For what you want you're probably going to be better off buying one of the dreaded pre-built mini-fridge units and replacing the junk parts like the regulator and thermostat. Luckily this forum has every bit of information you could want for getting a Sanyo/Danby/Nostalgia unit running properly.

The other options are to go big and buy the BevAir or Summit units.
                  Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Oh, Homebrewwife, by the way, in case nobody ever told you. Your a good wife.

Comment

homebrewwife, I second jhon's post. You rule.

I had to get a divorce before I could justify a kegerator...

How much room do you have? Is there a possibility that you could squeeze a small (7.0 cubic feet or so) chest freezer in that space? With the proper freezer and the parts available from this site, you and your husband could put together a nice setup, and you could probably meet your budget (just remember to factor in the cost of the keg.)

Besides, If your husband is handy, it might be a cool project with a delicious reward

Comment

don't be terribly discouraged by comments regarding home kegerators and replacing parts. A small percentage of people probably do get bad parts. I bought my Danby from Best Buy 6 months ago for $430, and haven't had to replace any parts. They work just fine for me. My neighbor bought the same one a year ago, and his has worked fine, too.

I did have to add a resistor and tower cooler, which are pretty easy. So if your husband and father likes to tinke, these two things will be extremely simple for them to do. Just show them this forum. There are mounds of instructions/advice on both of those topics.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                        X