Which CO2 Regulator???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which CO2 Regulator???

I'm setting up a kegerator with two kegs (two different pressures). Which CO2 Regulator set up do I need? I think it's the same, but I'd rather be safe then sorry...

One Premium Series Dual Primary CO2 Regulator Battery or One Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium and One 2 Pressure - Secondary CO2 Regulator -

Also, if I get the Dual Primary and I only hook up one keg, which side do I use, the closest to the CO2 tank or the far one?

Thanks
    Last edited by RickDel; 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM.

Originally posted by RickDel View Post
    I'm setting up a kegerator with two kegs (two different pressures). Which CO2 Regulator set up do I need? I think it's the same, but I'd rather be safe then sorry...

One Premium Series Dual Primary CO2 Regulator Battery or One Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium and One 2 Pressure - Secondary CO2 Regulator -
    I would think it kind of depends on the space you have available. The Dual Primary attaches directly to the Co2 tank & the 2 Pressure Secondary mounts to a wall with a hose line going to the tank.

Originally posted by RickDel
    Also, if I get the Dual Primary and I only hook up one keg, which side do I use, the closest to the CO2 tank or the far one?

Thanks
    You can use either one. It makes no difference. Just shut off the valve at the bottom of the one you are not using.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks ICEMAN

I have plenty of room in the 14.8 cu ft freezer. So, is it just a matter of asthetics? Or is there any benifit to one over the other. I like the looks of attaching the secondaries to the wall, it looks a little cleaner/neater to me (based on others pics).

Thanks

Comment

You would have to be very careful mounting to the inside of a freezer. Chest freezers use the interior walls as an evaporator which means the refrigerant lines are just under the surface. It's bad news if you were to hit one of the lines.

Just a thought... you might be able to take some sheet metal & bend it in sort of an upside down "J" to hang over the edge of the freezer & mount the regulator on that.
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Right, I was actually planning to mount them to the wooden collar. I think they look a little cleaner up there as opposed to hanging everthing off the CO2 (but this is an unexperienced point of view.... I really haven't seen enough to make a valid opinion - and I haven't seen or used any personally)

Comment

I would think if you go with the 2 Pressure Secondary you might also want to go with this.
            -Dave Barry-
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

I guess I need to be spoon feed

Sorry for the ignorance, but WHERE?? That item has no product description, so I don't know where or how to apply it....

Do you mean, get a primary at the CO2 and run a hose to a dual secondary attached at the back of the kegerator, then attach this gauge to the secondary?

Thanks Again

Comment

Sorry for the ignorance, but WHERE?? That item has no product description, so I don't know where or how to apply it....
                If you look at the image below you will see a 'plug' on the left side of the regulator. Simply unscrew the plug & screw in the high pressure gauge with teflon tape on the threads.
                Do you mean, get a primary at the CO2 and run a hose to a dual secondary attached at the back of the kegerator, then attach this gauge to the secondary?
                No, you wouldn't need another regulator. All you would need to do is come directly off of the Co2 tank & into the right side of the regulator. Unfortunately I've not been able to find the right fitting on this site to come off the tank. Perhaps someone else knows where to find it.
                -Dave Barry-
                -Martin Luther-

Comment

okay, okay.... I'm starting to understand.

So, I assume the guage you recommended is for the tank PSI?? I realize this is regulator 101, but can the second regulator have a higher PSI then the first??? I mean, I assumed the first regulator (of the dual) would reduce the PSI and the second regulator would have to be lower PSI then the first. Obviously this is not how it work if the added gauge at the end of the tank indicates the tanks PSI. (kinda thinking out loud)

Also, I did notice you can't find that fitting to run a hose directly off the tank; however, I just assumed it was dangerous (to much PSI) to run a hose directly to the CO2 tank without a regulator to lower the PSI. Your thoughts?

Right now I'm leaning on getting a Single Primary at the CO2 tank and then a dual Secondary (with no added gauges). Unless I figure this hose and fitting issue out.

Thanks for all you help.

Comment

Originally posted by RickDel View Post
                    okay, okay.... I'm starting to understand.

So, I assume the guage you recommended is for the tank PSI??
                    Correct.
                    I realize this is regulator 101, but can the second regulator have a higher PSI then the first??? I mean, I assumed the first regulator (of the dual) would reduce the PSI and the second regulator would have to be lower PSI then the first. Obviously this is not how it work if the added gauge at the end of the tank indicates the tanks PSI. (kinda thinking out loud)
                    The first regulator in line does not affect the second - the pressure goes straight through.

Also, I did notice you can't find that fitting to run a hose directly off the tank; however, I just assumed it was dangerous (to much PSI) to run a hose directly to the CO2 tank without a regulator to lower the PSI. Your thoughts?
                    I have a hose for a soda system I got from Coke that comes directly off the Co2 tank to the regulator. So yes, it is possible to use a hose (properly rated, of course) to come off the Co2 tank.

Right now I'm leaning on getting a Single Primary at the CO2 tank and then a dual Secondary (with no added gauges). Unless I figure this hose and fitting issue out.

Thanks for all you help.
                    You might try getting in touch with your local Coke or Pepsi distributor & see if you can obtain one of those hoses. The pre-made one I have is about six feet in length. I don't know the cost as I got mine for free. It might end up cheaper going the way you mentioned. Good luck.

THE ICEMAN
                    -Dave Barry-
                    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks ICEMAN!

Comment

Hey, no extra charge!!!
                        -Dave Barry-
                        -Martin Luther-

Comment

These secondaries are not designed for inlet pressures from a cylinder. Use a primary regulator (set pressure 10 or more PSIG higher than secondaries) on the cylinder and then plumb vinyl pressure tubing to the secondaries. Set secondary PSIG based on temperature of the beer and carbonation level.
                          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
                            These secondaries are not designed for inlet pressures from a cylinder...
                            Interesting news Scott. You might want to consider adding this info to your product details to avoid any confusion or problems.
                            -Dave Barry-
                            -Martin Luther-

Comment

thanks guys..... I actually just made my purchase (prior to reading the new reply). Anyhow, I purchased both a primary and a dual secondary, so all is good!!

I have just a couple small things to buy before starting the conversion..... getting nervious now......

Comment

Working...
                              X