Margarita keg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margarita keg?

Once a year I throw a party at the American Royal BBQ Challenge. I plan on wheeling out my new freezer conversion to the event this year. One of my BBQ teammates had the idea of dispensing margaritas. Is this possible? I know there is a local joint in KC that has margaritas on tap. I'm wondering if I can put a batch in a corny keg and dispense it like beer.

Any advice?
    "because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well..."
    Brother Epp, 1902

Depending on how much you want to mix, check out this container. Larger bottles are available.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Thanks Scott, I bought the 3.9 gallon.

Does anyone have any experience mixing up margaritas on tap? If I mix it up on the day of the party will the liquor and mixers stay mixed up or do I have to worry about the liquor settling to the top or bottom of the pressurized container? I think I will do a trial run this week just to see how it works.
      Brother Epp, 1902

Comment

A trial run is very important! Don't forget what you did. Commercial set-ups at times incorporated a beer bump to dispense the margarita and then the exhaust from the pump would be routed to the bottom of the tank (almost the size of a 55 gal. drum) to continually agitate the concoction.

For your application, since your container is small, pick it up from time to time through the event and slightly shake.

Since you really do not want to carbonate your mix, attempt to apply as little pressure as possible to acquire a flow and use 1/4" ID vinyl instead of 3/16".

Comment

What about a Corny? Would that work too?

Home Brew IPA

Comment

1/4 tube makes a lot of sense, thanks,

I also have a corny keg I can use. Does anyone have any experience with mixing margaritas in a korny keg? Any advice as to how to keep it mixed? I suppose I could shake it up and down every once in a while.

Tonight I'm going to put a glass of margarita mix and tequila in my frigerator and see if it stays mixed over 5-6 hours.
            Brother Epp, 1902

Comment

I've seen pre-mixed margaritas for sale in 1.75L containers before.. I don't think that they require any shaking to keep them mixed.... Could be an option for you.

Comment

A corny should work. If it works for Bacardi Rum & Coke, it will work for a margarita. A cleaning pot would work! Just be certain to rinse thoroughly.

Comment

i own one of these Amazon.com: Margarator Margarita Maker - Green: Kitchen & Dining . it will mix for about 5 min then just flip the switch to cold and it will keep your frosty frozen mix cold. works well, however a comercial unit is obviously better.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanpa View Post
                    i own one of these Amazon.com: Margarator Margarita Maker - Green: Kitchen & Dining . it will mix for about 5 min then just flip the switch to cold and it will keep your frosty frozen mix cold. works well, however a comercial unit is obviously better.
                    I've seen those before. Those are for frozen slush margaritas, correct? I prefer margaritas on the rocks. I think it would be pretty slick to turn a kegerator into a margaritarator for a pool party.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
                      I've seen those before. Those are for frozen slush margaritas, correct? I prefer margaritas on the rocks. I think it would be pretty slick to turn a kegerator into a margaritarator for a pool party.
                      if that is the case then i think Scott's idea is better. i think it would require thorough cleaning.

Comment

We have served margaritas on tap several times. I use a corny keg and run it on my kegerator or jockey box without any trouble at all. To keep it simple we buy the premade margaritas from the local ABC store, all liquor sold by state store in Virginia, and simply dump 5 gallons into the corny keg.

You do need to shake it once in awhile as the mix will seperate. Other than that, no problems. Believe me, the margaritas do not last long enough to over carbonate.

Just make sure the keg is cleaned before use and cleaned very well after as the margarita contains alot of sugar.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                        X