Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modded Danby problems

Hey all,
    I'm new to the board here. I'm an engineering student at the University of Illinois. I decided I was going to get myself a kegerator for my birthday, and when doing research I stumbled across the forum and read the Danby improvement post.

Looked on Craigslist for kegerators and saw a used Danby for sale on my campus. The previous owner didn't seem too technically inclined and said it started having cooling problems- it wasn't getting as cold as he wanted. I figured it was probably the notorious sensor issues and decided to take it off his hands. For $160 I got a 3 year old Danby with 2 full 5lb CO2 tanks.

I decided to test the unit before I even attempt to put a 1/2 barrel in. I did the 33k ohm resistor mod and moved the sensor close to the door at the top of the unit. I have not upgraded the fan nor have I installed a blower. Just the sensor mods for now. I have a glass of water inside the unit and with the Danby set at 36F the coldest I can get the water is 54.9F.

Since I can't get the water any colder than 54.9F, does this sound like it's a refrigeration problem? Is there any way I can check the refrigerant level? Is there a way to diagnose the compressor to see if it's not operating at full potential? I want to make sure all the refrigeration components are good before I buy a standalone temperature controller.

Thanks,
    Sean

P.S. The unit is being stored indoors, not outside. Also, the compressor was pretty warm before I decided to turn off the unit.
    Last edited by SIeeper; 05-10-2008, 12:41 PM.

Is the compressor running continuously or is it cycling on & off. If it is cycling then I would think it is a control problem.

They generally do not put service valves on those small units so the only way to check the refrigerant is to add a tap valve. If you are not familiar with the normal operating pressures for that refrigerant I would leave it.

You can get a good idea how things are working by using your hands. The suction line at the compressor should be cold to the touch but not iced over & the discharge line will be very hot. The liquid line coming out of the condenser should just be warm to the touch. If you find these things then chances are the refrigeration system is OK. Oh, and make sure the condenser is clean.

Later, THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Here's what I noticed:

1. Compressor seems to run continuously
      2. Suction line at compressor is cold but not iced over (gets warm where it gets close to compressor body)
      3. Compressor "tank" very hot
      4. Liquid line coming out of condenser warm
      5. Large condenser fan not running
      6. Small stock circulation fan inside the unit not running

Is the condenser fan supposed to run continuously? Or at least while the compressor is running? I don't know anything about refrigerators or their repair, but it seemed odd that the large fan pointed at the condenser was not running. I would also think that the small circulation fan inside should also be running. I wish there was some kind of manual that would have all this information.

Thanks for the help Iceman.
      -Sean
      Last edited by SIeeper; 05-10-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

The fan is your problem. It should be running any time the compressor is running. Do not run the unit any more without replacing the fan motor. You can drive up the head pressure & damage the valves in the compressor. It is normal for the body of the compressor to be hot. Occasionally there is a fan control for the evaporator fan inside but those are more for a freezer application so yes, it should be running too. And that may be why the compressor hasn't died without the condenser fan motor running... no heat load to speak of.

And Welcome to the forums.

Later, THE ICEMAN
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Again, thanks for the help! I'll check the voltage at the terminals to see if the problem is in the circuit or the fans itself. If it's the fans then I'll replace those and hopefully I'll be one step closer to draft beer at home!
          -Sean

Comment

Alright, here's a frustrating update:

I replaced the condenser fan and installed it. The fan STILL would not turn on when I plugged in the kegerator. This led me to believe it was a control problem that was never turning on the fan. So I crossed some wires in the Danby as you would if you were using an external controller such that the compressor and condenser fan are running continuously.

I plugged in the kegerator with the fan and compressor running continuously so I could see how cold the kegerator could get. If I could get liquid temps down to 38F then I know the refrigerator is fine and it's just the controller that's bad.

The bad news is that the kegerator STILL won't get any colder than 53F. It took the kegerator a long time to get to that temperature too; about a degree an hour. So this leads me to believe that part of the refrigeration system is bad.

How do I diagnose what part of the refrigeration system is faulty? I appreciate any help that you guys could provide.

Comment

Can anyone help me? Iceman?

Comment

It's kind of difficult to tell what is going on from the distance of the internet. It does not make a great deal of sense that the fan would not run after you installed the new fan but would if you wired past the control. Something is not wired right.

You may be correct in thinking you have a refrigeration problem. There may be a leak in the system, a restriction, a weak compressor, etc, etc. When the compressor is running, how does it sound? Does it hum right along or does it have a bit of a growl or tinny sound to it? If it has anything other than a nice even hum the bearings or the valves may be going.

Once again, its tough to tell without seeing it.

THE ICEMAN
                -Dave Barry-
                -Martin Luther-

Comment

I'm having this issue now too. I just hardwired the compressor/condensor so I could use an external thermostat. It gets down to about 58 degrees and that's where it stays, constantly on and won't get any cooler.

**Edit

It got down to about 46 degrees, but it took ALL night in order to do it. The fridge hums along very quietly and doesn't make any noticeable noises. I'm actually looking at freezers now to do a conversion on as I think my fridge maybe on its way out.
                  Last edited by Filch; 06-07-2008, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the really late reply, but the thing doesn't make any weird noises, it just doesn't get cold enough. I'm going to call some repair places and see if I can get a quote. If it's too expensive I'll just look into getting a used chest freezer and adapting the Danby parts to work with that.

Comment

I had the same problem with the condenser fan. I just ordered a new one from Danby. I took that back panel off and just put a 12 inch fan back there blowing in the direction that the condenser fan was pointing. Got the temps down fairly quickly. I've had a keg in there for the past week and a half and the temps are holding. Hopefully when I install the new fan it works properly so I can put the back panel back on.

Comment

Just a note for you guys. If it IS an actual refrigeration system problem, anything inside the refrigeration lines and work on it requires a special certification for handling. A couple quick notes..... Freon is heavier than air and if breathed in will sit in the bottom of your lungs. If enough is inhaled you can actually drown in the freon. Freon is a colorless odorless gas and you have no way to tell if it has been released. Lastly, when freon reaches 1000F or greater it turns into phosgene gas(basically mustard gas). The tip of a cigarette can reach up to 1000F when you inhale. So, I wish you the best of luck with your troubleshooting, but be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerimus_Maximus View Post
                          Just a note for you guys. If it IS an actual refrigeration system problem, anything inside the refrigeration lines and work on it requires a special certification for handling. A couple quick notes..... Freon is heavier than air and if breathed in will sit in the bottom of your lungs. If enough is inhaled you can actually drown in the freon. Freon is a colorless odorless gas and you have no way to tell if it has been released. Lastly, when freon reaches 1000F or greater it turns into phosgene gas(basically mustard gas). The tip of a cigarette can reach up to 1000F when you inhale. So, I wish you the best of luck with your troubleshooting, but be safe.
                          You're preaching to the choir in my case. You would have to breath almost pure freon for it to have an effect. Burned freon is pretty nasty. You will know it when it hits you. It can leave the throat burning. Unfortunately I've been hit by it more than once.

I'm not called THE ICEMAN for nothing. And yes, I am certified.

THE ICEMAN
                          -Dave Barry-
                          -Martin Luther-

Comment

My problem is definitely not refrigeration because I just opened the door and my cup of water finally froze up. Unfortunately I also just discovered that I must have a co2 leak because my tank is empty and it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet. Also, i unscrewed the condenser fan and I have no idea how to swap it out for the new one. And now I have to because I snapped the fan blade off of the old one (not that it was working anyway) when I was trying to figure out how to remove it.

Now I'm looking at replacing the crappy Danby regulator, praying that I can somehow replace this fan, and I might as well throw in a new coupler since I'm ordering stuff anyway. Talk about going to sleep in a foul mood.

Comment

Working...
                            X