Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigJonM
    replied
    ICEMAN, thanks for the reply. That sounds like something I can accomplish myself I'll have a look in there and report back with my findings.

So far I have been thoroughly pleased with my purchase though!

Leave a comment:

• THE ICEMAN
    replied
    First of all, that is the evaporator. Next, about all you can do short of replacing the pan is try to seal it from the inside. Those pans are galvanized sheet metal & over time water will get to them. You would need to pull the pan loose, dry it completely, clean off the loose rust as much as possible (bare metal is best) & seal it with some type of sealer. Go to Home Depot or similar & pick up a small can or tube of waterproof sealer. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the stuff I last used but it came in a caulking tube, was white & was about the same as tooth paste. (I know thats not much help) Just make sure you get all the inside of the pan covered with no gaps or else you will end up with the same problem down the road.

THE ICEMAN

Leave a comment:

• BigJonM
    replied
    Hi folks,

Bumping up an old thread here to get some advice. I've had the unit for about a year now, and other than the compressor being a bit loud, it works great and stays cold. The one issue is the condenser leaks. Fact is, it's leaked slightly since about when we picked it up, and it hasn't gotten any worse, I'm just now getting around to go about repairing it.

I've attached a picture highlighting where it leaks. It's a small drip, coming from the bottom corner of the condenser. The plating around the area is pretty brittle (either from moisture or age?) and not completely sealed, which allows the drip.

Before I get a refrigerator guy out to look at it, I was wondering if the pros here had any ideas. Is the leak caused by the plating separating, or by something else? And if it's simply the plating, can that be repaired/replaced? I'm not expert on this stuff just trying to get an idea of what's going on....

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TheSlavik
    replied
    Good score! I'd give it a good cleaning inside, outside, underside, backside... you'd be amazed what come crawling out of things after it has sat outside for a while.

I would also replace all the lines too, and soak all the faucets and couplers in a cleaning solution. Check the equipment store link at the top of the page for good cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• THE ICEMAN
    replied
    It's pretty blurry but if you know what you're looking for you can see that that thing takes 11.1 oz of R12.

Leave a comment:

• BigJonM
    replied
    Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
    Looks like a sweet find but the seller fibbed a bit to you. I could see from your pic of the data plate that it takes R12 refrigerant. R12 was phased out in 1994, so your pride & joy is at least 14 years old. R12 is not a problem, it works very well. Even if you should have a refrigeration problem down the road, there are replacement refrigerants that work very well in older systems - like R409a. When it comes time to replace the door gaskets, don't be shocked when you hear the price of those things. They are proud of those little strips of plastic. Shop around before you buy.

Later, THE ICEMAN
    Thanks for the info. How in the world did you figure that out from the data plate?

I don't think the seller was completely aware of the history, he was making his best assumption. The unit was in a brewery restaurant and he got it from a family member. In any case, thanks for the heads-up!

Leave a comment:

• Zanpa
    replied
    total score! i am jealous

Leave a comment:

• THE ICEMAN
    replied
    Looks like a sweet find but the seller fibbed a bit to you. I could see from your pic of the data plate that it takes R12 refrigerant. R12 was phased out in 1994, so your pride & joy is at least 14 years old. R12 is not a problem, it works very well. Even if you should have a refrigeration problem down the road, there are replacement refrigerants that work very well in older systems - like R409a. When it comes time to replace the door gaskets, don't be shocked when you hear the price of those things. They are proud of those little strips of plastic. Shop around before you buy.

Later, THE ICEMAN

Leave a comment:

• BigJonM
    replied
    Pics & msg'd, cont'd

Accessories included:

It's too late to do anything tonight but here's what I have planned for the morning:

1) Pick up new beer lines (hasn't been used in over a year)
    2) Pick up line cleaning kit (any suggestions on what to get?)
    3) Check CO2 level, refill if necessary
    4) Should I replace the line cooling tubing? It appears to have mold all inside of it...
    5) Pick up a couple of kegs

I plan to take the couplers with me to the keg store tomorrow just to make sure they're in good shape.

Anything else I'm missing? I'm a total newb to this but anxious to learn. Thanks in advance for your help

Leave a comment:

• BigJonM
    replied
    So it looks like Iceman was correct about the model, DD78 (see below). Went and picked it up today. Total cost: $400 + $40 for gas for my brother's truck.

The seller told me it is about 6 or 7 years old, but it was plugged in and cold. All the fans work and aside from being kinda grimy, it's in good condition. The door seals probably need replacement but it's not urgent.

Pics (after my roommate cleaned it up with some 409).

Regulator on CO2 tank (not sure what this means but it was pointed at 10)

Leave a comment:

• Scott Zuhse
    replied
    Check door seals as well. If purchased, you may want to strip all of the line and rebuild. Stop at the car wash on the way home and pressure clean it inside and out - including the condenser.

If the CO2 cylinder comes with your purchase, the gas vendor who fills it will check the *** hydro test date and if it has expired, you should be prepared for this additional charge. Or they may swap it with a similar size and your are in business.

Leave a comment:

• cubby_swans
    replied
    even if it didn't cool I'd jump on that for $400. I'd fork out extra dough to get it fixed by a refrigerator guy if needed.

Leave a comment:

• scottz5
    replied
    wow what a deal it looks like SS too.

Leave a comment:

• Zanpa
    replied
    i would jump on that!

Leave a comment:

• BigJonM
    replied
    Thanks very much for the detail. I figured it was an expensive piece but didn't figure that much

I'm going to take a look at it this weekend and will 99% pick it up (assuming it seems to run, all motors work, and it keeps a temperature).

Anything else I should be really concerned about on a unit like this? My guess is that these are made to last some time and the only real issue might be that it has been sitting outside for a bit.
    Last edited by BigJonM; 05-01-2008, 12:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X