Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chest Freezer Kegerator Finished (....finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest Freezer Kegerator Finished (....finally)

First of all, many many thanks to all of the brilliant minds on this forum, there is a wealth of information here. Took me a little while to finish this up. It was going to sit in our formal dining room so I figured why not go the extra step. I used a Kenmore 7.2cu' chest freezer and a dual tap tower conversion kit. For the sides and the top, a 4'x8' sheet of cabinet-grade wood was used. It was sanded and stained, then put a clear-coat on it. Took me a while to finish up, but i'm please with the results. Can't wait for the first two 1/4's.........on to the pictures

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Few more pictures

Got a few more pictures of back and internals.........

Comment

I was a bit thrown off at first glance with the tower being off center, but the more I look at it, I like it. Totally, a functional move doing that. I like the trim work you did on the bottom near the casters. Nice job.

Comment

thanks, I wanted to have a storage space for glasses so I decided to keep the tower to the side. I used a router for all of the wood pieces, first time I ever used one. Took a little while but it was a fun project.

Comment

Great job. I like the use of wood to give it a nice finished look.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Looks great. I'f I could make on recommendation you should pick up some real wood vaneer edging. I used the same stuff when I built my poker table and it gives a finished edge to cabinet grade plywood. Here's a link to the stuff I used. I just used a normal household iron to apply it. And it's completely stainable.

13/16'' Edgemate Real Wood Edging - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Comment

How much clearance do these kind of freezers need behind them?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, using the edging would have been much easier instead of the router. Definitely a +1 when I build my next one. Been thinking of building one from a 14 cu' freezer. Two 1/2 kegs are better than 1.......

Comment

Originally posted by str1der View Post
                  How much clearance do these kind of freezers need behind them?
                  As for ventilation, mine has a fan near the compressor. I didn't cover the entire thing in wood just for that reason. I have the CO2 tank mounted in the back so that forces the kegerator to be away from the wall by at atleast 6-8"

I helped my cousin build his as well. He placed it in the garage and has 2 taps coming out of his granite backsplash in the kitchen. His is a 8.2 cu' Frigidaire, one thing I have noticed is that mine does not get hot at all around the sides. It doesn't even get warm. His however gets so hot it almost burns when you touch it. I guess different freezers dissipate heat differently, I wouldn't suggest enclosing a freezer like his in wood. It would probably kill the compressor in a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by KingPin461 View Post
                    As for ventilation, mine has a fan near the compressor. I didn't cover the entire thing in wood just for that reason. I have the CO2 tank mounted in the back so that forces the kegerator to be away from the wall by at atleast 6-8"

I helped my cousin build his as well. He placed it in the garage and has 2 taps coming out of his granite backsplash in the kitchen. His is a 8.2 cu' Frigidaire, one thing I have noticed is that mine does not get hot at all around the sides. It doesn't even get warm. His however gets so hot it almost burns when you touch it. I guess different freezers dissipate heat differently, I wouldn't suggest enclosing a freezer like his in wood. It would probably kill the compressor in a matter of time.
                    Exactly right. Your freezer has an external coil for the condenser & your cousin's unit has the condenser embedded in the exterior walls of the freezer. Something for all of you contemplating freezer conversions to remember.

OBTW,

My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                    -Dave Barry-
                    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                      Exactly right. Your freezer has an external coil for the condenser & your cousin's unit has the condenser embedded in the exterior walls of the freezer. Something for all of you contemplating freezer conversions to remember.

OBTW,

Thank you very much, I'm enjoying the benefits of this wonderful little thing almost everyday

Comment

Kingpin nice touch with the wood. Very nice setup.

Comment

good job

it has it all eye appeal and the benefit of keg beer on tap in your formal dining room!!!! hope the tv and game room is near by...
                          ....ONE KEG OF BEER FOR THE FOUR OF US......FOR ONE OF US COULD DRINK IT ALL ALONE.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy1759 View Post
                            it has it all eye appeal and the benefit of keg beer on tap in your formal dining room!!!! hope the tv and game room is near by...
                            Actually, the original plan was to put this in the theater room upstairs, but the wife didn't want people stumbling around in the dark trying to pour beer and makin a mess. (especially newbies)

Football in HD + 120" screen + cold beer = HEAVEN

Can't have everything i guess, oh well, just have to walk downstairs and pour one.

Just thinkin about football season gets me excited....Cant wait

HOOK'EM HORNS ! ! !

GO TEXANS - (yea yea, laugh all you want.........)

Comment

Kingpin, i sent you a private message, just a heads up to check it out, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X