Building shed for kegerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building shed for kegerator

Hi, great forum! I was looking for somewhere like this when I originally conceived my idea of putting a kegerator on my rooftop deck.

Background: I live in downtown Atlanta. We live in a loft and have roof-building rights. We have been constructing a deck for quite a while now. If interested: Deck - a photoset on Flickr We're just about to the point where I can hook up the kegerator.

I purchased a Frigidaire PLKU1267DS Beverage Center and have it ready to go. So the plan is to install the kegerator on the roof. Knowing that the kegerator isn't designed to operate outside, I plan on building a small shed to house/protect it.

I'd like some suggestions of the features I should build into this shed. It will likely have a full-size or near full-size door on the front of the shed. Obviously, it will be safe from rain, but I'm wondering about heat and perhaps cold. (although Atlanta doesn't get *too* cold that often) Do I need to have some kind of induction fan to suck cooler air from under the deck? Do I need to have an exhaust fan to blow hotter air out? Should I insulate the shed?

Owner's manual specifies: "For the most efficient operation, the beverage cooler
    should be located where surrounding temperatures will not
    drop below 10ºF (-12ºC) or exceed 110ºF (43ºC)."

Any opinions you have would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Craig

Cool deck retreat! Not to rain on your parade, but the inside of a closed up shed being exposed to direct sunlight in Atlanta will most definately exceed the 110º limit especially when you consider it's going to be generating its own heat via the compressor and condensor coils. Use radiant barrier decking for the roof and walls, insulate the phooey out of it yet maintain an air gap between the decking and the insulation and provide some type of active ventilation and it should keep it close to the outside temp. Adding a small window ac unit would be best, but that will be another immediate and long term expense.

Comment

Sweet setup.

Simply providing cover from rain & sun should be plenty. You don't neccessarily need to fully enclose it to do that. And just make sure there is plenty of airflow around the unit.

THE ICEMAN
      Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM.
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

"Like a Car"

Yeah, I agree... That would heat up like a car in the summer (and we all know how unpleasant HOT seats are). But i think simple Venting should be adequate. PS. Nice job all around.

Comment

Originally posted by bard View Post
          Cool deck retreat! Not to rain on your parade, but the inside of a closed up shed being exposed to direct sunlight in Atlanta will most definately exceed the 110º limit especially when you consider it's going to be generating its own heat via the compressor and condensor coils. Use radiant barrier decking for the roof and walls, insulate the phooey out of it yet maintain an air gap between the decking and the insulation and provide some type of active ventilation and it should keep it close to the outside temp. Adding a small window ac unit would be best, but that will be another immediate and long term expense.
          RE: retreat, thanks! Yeah, I was worried that might be a response I'd get about putting it up there. I also thought about a wall unit, but knew it would be loud and a bit excessive for the project.

For the ventilation, you think I should do an active pull-active push, or would an active push be enough? (Pull air in, push air out vs. push air out) For the push only, I would have vents so that airflow would be able to be pulled in, just no active fan.

Thanks guys!
          -Craig

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
            Sweet setup.
            Originally posted by Dmac View Post
            PS. Nice job all around.
            Thanks x2!

I guess I'll have to build the shed and keep a close eye on the temps and the kegerator to see how it's doing. I'll look into installing one of those thermostat-controlled gable fans. I'll install some thermostats inside the unit and also inside the shed.

Think I should go the highest R-value possible for the insulation?

-Craig

Comment

One power ventilator (pushing out from up top) would be plenty. Just make sure you have plenty of fresh air intakes available. I'm not sure whether it would be best to have them down low or just under the eaves (maybe through the floor if it's elevated?). You might look into a solar powered ventilator. They aren't very efficient (so I hear) but you won't have much space to ventilate. I'd definitely do the radiant barrier decking for the roof and walls and apply some type of insulation but make sure there is at least an inch of space between the insulation and the radiant barrier. Otherwise you loose the benefits of the RB. The RB plywood isn't much more than regular ply.

Comment

Working...
              X