X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat and High CFM Rated Fan Question

I have a couple of questions:

Thermostats: I will be using this thermostat:

Would it be better to place it on the outside of the chest freezer and drill a hole into the unit for the probe or can I just close the chest lid on the probe line?

Or place the entire thing inside the chest freezer and drill a hole for the power cord?

Blower question:

I will be using a fan that is 88 cfm rated. Will this create too much heat inside my chest freezer? In another post someone had read that a high cfm rated fan can actually raise the temperature inside the freezer. Is this true? What have been your experiences with this?

I look forward to hearing your inputs.

Still in the process of purchasing everthing I need to built this thing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lush; 03-15-2008, 02:34 PM.

The unit is meant to be mounted on the outside. It isn't a sealed unit... any condensation or moisture will damage it.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Lush View Post

Blower question:

I will be using a fan that is 88 cfm rated. Will this create too much heat inside my chest freezer? In another post someone had read that a high cfm rated fan can actually raise the temperature inside the freezer. Is this true? What have been your experiences with this?

I look forward to hearing your inputs.

Still in the process of purchasing everthing I need to built this thing.

Thanks!
      It could. Is there a volt, amp, watt rating on the fan somewhere? A few have posted using fans that were rated at 25+ watts. You won't want to leave a 25 to 35 watt or more light bulb on all the time in your refridgerator. A chest freezer may be able to keep it cool, but the electric bill will suffer

Comment

Would it be better to place it on the outside of the chest freezer and drill a hole into the unit for the probe or can I just close the chest lid on the probe line?
        I have the same unit and I just close the chest lid on the probe line. It doesn't look the best, but i actually have the chest lid closing on the controller probe line, blower power line, and a fan power line, and I haven't had any problems. If you do want to drill, just drill a small hole and look in there for any cooling lines and avoid them, but you still run the risk of messing something up. I thought about doing it, I just decided not to mess with a good thing!

Comment

I have a couple of questions:

Thermostats: I will be using this thermostat:

Or place the entire thing inside the chest freezer and drill a hole for the power cord?
          Originally posted by jumper
          The unit is meant to be mounted on the outside. It isn't a sealed unit... any condensation or moisture will damage it.
          These type of controls are used in walk in coolers & freezers all the time so moisture is not a factor.

It would be easier to just close the lid on the probe & mount the control on the outside. Just be very careful how you mount it. Use existing screw holes or velcro. Its no fun to drill into refrigerant lines.
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
          X