I am sooo confused and frustrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sooo confused and frustrated...

Ok...A month ago I completed the Danby mods. Installed the tower cooling, new internal fan, new temperature controller. Temperature inside is a nice cool 32 degrees and the beer comes out at a perfect 36 degrees. After the mods I tapped a brand new 5 gal Fat Tire and it came out perfect. 1 inch of head or less.

But over time it has gotten worse and worse. I made sure the glasses are clean and maintain a constant 10 psig on the beer. Just today it poured 85% foam. When it first pours I get about 1 sec of clean beer, then 2-3 sec of foam, then beer. Subsequent pours are also fine. But as if my tower wasn't cooled, I get the same thing about an hour later. I know it isn't temperature, but haven't a clue otherwise.

Any suggestions on where the problem could lie?

How are you cooling the tower? It sounds like it is less effective than it was when you first modified it.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I have a piece of rubber 1 1/4 inch i.d hosing running out of the 33 CFM Dayton blower going up through a 3.5 inch hole into the tower that is lined with insulation to prevent losses.

The beer line enters the hose before it goes into the tower and leaves the hose about 3" below the top of the tower.

Can the beer get foamy after settling towards the end of the keg?...I know it is about tapped...any beer now.

Comment

Look at the beer line and see if there are bubbles in it after it sits for a while. Off hand the 10 psi seems a little low and that can cause the co2 to come out of the beer easier. You can likely contact New Belgium Brewing company to see what psi they recommend. I also have a feeling that New Belgium will tell you that Fat Tire should be served much warmer than where you have it now. The cold temperature and low pressure could be combining to cause all this foam.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

What's the temperature of the beer when first poured?

I remember reading from some people that the blowers rated for that much air movement can actually heat the air.

Comment

The beer when poured (as measured last night) was 36.7 degrees.

I will call New Belgium today to get some recommended specs.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey710 View Post
              The beer when poured (as measured last night) was 36.7 degrees.

I will call New Belgium today to get some recommended specs.
              http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...kegerator.html

This worked for me, I am using 8psi with 5' of line and I get the perfect pour at 37 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by skibumdc View Post
                What's the temperature of the beer when first poured?

I remember reading from some people that the blowers rated for that much air movement can actually heat the air.
                Is this really possible? I have a blower that's rated at 88 cfm that I plan to use in my freezer conversion when I have everything together to start it.

It doesn't seem big enough to let off that much heat especially in a box just above freezing temperature.

Just curious.

Comment

Ok..I have tried raising the pressure per the New Belgium specs including the temperature and I have tried lowering the pressure to no avail.

I really think that it is due to the keg being almost tapped as it was perfect at the beginning of the keg. I will get a new keg next week and hopefully these problems are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey710 View Post
                    Ok..I have tried raising the pressure per the New Belgium specs including the temperature and I have tried lowering the pressure to no avail.

I really think that it is due to the keg being almost tapped as it was perfect at the beginning of the keg. I will get a new keg next week and hopefully these problems are gone.
                    I e-mailed New Belgium quite some time ago. This is what they sent me...
                    I think you need it set right from the get go. You can't just change the pressure and all of a sudden have it work perfectly. If you had to raise the pressure, you might need some time for the beer to absorb some of that co2.

Originally posted by New Belgium

Thanks for taking the time to write. Where in the country do you live? I ask
                    this because the pressure setting will vary depending on your elevation. Here is
                    an excerpt from our Draft Manual:

Most New Belgium Brewing Products will be kegged at 2.5 to 2.6 Volumes of CO2.
                    A standard beer cooler will be kept between 38° and 40° Fahrenheit. The
                    regulators should be set between 11.2psi and 13.4psi. This is based on beers at
                    sea level. For every 1000 foot rise in elevation, a half of a pound of pressure
                    should be added. For example, at 5,000 feet, 2.5psi should be added to any of
                    the above figures.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Mandy Miller
                    Quality Assurance
                    New Belgium Brewing Company
                    Fort Collins, CO USA

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Roger that. I am just an impatient beer drinker. I raised it to about 12 last night and will try to let it sit. There isn't much left in there, so probably will run out before I finish testing!

It is just strange that is was perfect earlier at 10 psi. But I guess it wasn't high enough and over time the CO2 came out...

Thanks all.

Comment

Ok...So I got a new 1/6 of Amberbock. Set the pressure at 14 as recommended by Scott and everything was good. But as the keg empties I get more and more foam. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

uhave no bubbles in your lines whatsoever correct?

Comment

The recommended PSIG of 14 is based on 38F beer temperature. If your beer is colder, you may have over-carbonated the top layer of beer that you are now dispensing from. Double check your temperature with a calibrated thermometer. How long was this keg coupled?
                            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

It comes out the tap at 37...but is probably closer to 33 inside the keg.

So I should have had a lower PSIG? What is my solution to fix the keg now?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X