Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refrigerator Conversion - Door Panel Replacement???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Conversion - Door Panel Replacement???

Hey all - Im in the process of building my first kegerator. Im converting an older refrigerator/freezer (Bottom Fridge/Top Freezer) unit. My question is in regards to the Fridge door. Has anyone ever removed the plastic molding shelves from the door? It takes up a significant amount of space in the fridge.

Taking it off is easy enough, there are a ton of screws but that is no problem. The questions I have are:
    • What do I replace it with? Plywood/plexiglass/etc?
    • How best to fit the seal around it.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Well I'm no frig expert.. but if you can still keep the seal in place with removing the door panel.. go for it. If it ruins the seal, I would keep it in place and probe the shelves making sure no cooling lines are in there.. And if its all good.. sawsall them bad boys off. And then cozmo them up if you want.. But really, whos looking in there.

Comment

Originally posted by meyer_22 View Post
      Hey all - Im in the process of building my first kegerator. Im converting an older refrigerator/freezer (Bottom Fridge/Top Freezer) unit. My question is in regards to the Fridge door. Has anyone ever removed the plastic molding shelves from the door? It takes up a significant amount of space in the fridge.

Taking it off is easy enough, there are a ton of screws but that is no problem. The questions I have are:
      • What do I replace it with? Plywood/plexiglass/etc?
      • How best to fit the seal around it.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

My guess is you would want to stay away from using plywood. It would need to be sealed from moisture & probably too thick. Plexiglass might be a good option if you don't get it too thick. Too thick & it could change the way the door seals, i.e. gaps in the door.

I'm currently in the process of doing exactly what you are describing.

I got a hold of a sheet of 1/16" aluminum (it was an old construction site sign, no longer needed) & have cut it to the same dimensions as the old liner. I will be transferring where the screw holes on the old liner were to the aluminum. The door seal should fit around the aluminum just the same as the old liner.

Hope that helps you.
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by USMCNUT View Post
        Well I'm no frig expert..
        It's OK, I am.
        Originally posted by USMCNUT
        but if you can still keep the seal in place with removing the door panel.. go for it. If it ruins the seal, I would keep it in place and probe the shelves making sure no cooling lines are in there..
        Don't worry, the doors don't have any refrigerant lines in them.
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Sorry, I read somewhere once that some models do have cooling running throughout the doors.. ??? But I have no idea. I guess they couldn't if you are able to take the door off... duh!!

Comment

I removed the door panel on my kegerator

I converted a 1970s era Kenmore upright freezer.
            I ripped out the lower 2/3 of the door liner to give more space. I replaced the liner with hardboard and lots of ducktape. I cut through the liner using a Dremel and cut-off wheel. I then removed the lower part by unscrewing the liner and carefully replacing the door seal.
            There was plenty of fibre glass insulation behind the liner and I've had no issues so far (6 months of good beer drinking)

Comment

Door replacement

Hey guys,

I have a Whirlpool fridge that I the replaced the door gasket (not fun) and while I was at it took the door panel off. I took a 1/16 piece of old formica and cut it to size like the Iceman did with the aluminum. Aluminum is/was my plan "B" in case the formica did not work. SO far that is working to a point. I heated the gasket with a hair dryer as I installed it to stratighten out all the kinks that come with it out of the box. After I got the whole thing on there, I have one spot on the right side of the gasket that does not make very good contact with the fridge. I have heated it repeatedly and it expands to fill the void and then contracts and the space reappears. Any ideas? Advice? Tips? Tricks?
              My first idea, drinking pint after pint and staring at it is not working. Damn! I can send a pic if that would help.

Comment

Working...
              X