No announcement yet.

Moving CO2 outside my Danby (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving CO2 outside my Danby (with pics)

I have an older Danby kegerator that has a single cooling line entering the upper left corner in the back. It then runs down the cooling plate inside. I want to move the CO2 tank outside because I am converting it to Guinness and the smallest mixed blend tank I cold get filled was 10#. I am planning to drill a hole to feed in the gas line, but am trying to select a proper location. My initial thought was to go just to the right of the entrance for the cooling line. If you look at the inside of the unit there is a red tank holder that is screwed into the back wall to assist in holding the tank. I figure if they ran screws in there, there must not be anything behind it (thus a good place for a hole).

Interestingly, there is a knock-out plug in the center bottom of the back above the compressor. I pulled the plastic plug and all I saw was foam. Anyone know what that is for? My concern there is hitting the cooling plate. Here are a couple pics of the back and inside. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you taken the tank holder off to see what it may be like behind it? I'm thinking that it they used more than one screw to hold it on, drilling between those screw holes may be a safe area.

Or you may be able to do an exploratory in one of the screw holes gradually increasing the diameter to see what is there before going too far and hitting something.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

See if you can open up the hole close to where the refrigerant line went through. Take a screwdriver & carefully peel away the insulation next to the lines. If you can't get through in the same hole you would probably be safe drilling next to it. You could also come out low in one of the back corners near the compressor underneath. There should be nothing there. You can seal things up later with silicone sealant. You DO NOT want to damage the lines or evaporator plate inside.

I would not drill holes in the sides. It looks like that unit is useing the sides as the condenser, meaning there are refrigerant lines on the inside of the exterior side panels to dissipate heat. If the sides of the unit are warm while the unit is running then that is the case.

All the plastic plug is there for is to give the manufacturer a place to inject the foam.
      Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 01-26-2008, 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
        Have you taken the tank holder off to see what it may be like behind it? I'm thinking that it they used more than one screw to hold it on, drilling between those screw holes may be a safe area.

Or you may be able to do an exploratory in one of the screw holes gradually increasing the diameter to see what is there before going too far and hitting something.
        Right, there are two screws that secure the tank holder to the back wall. I was thinking I would drill the whole right between the two screw holes.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
          See if you can open up the hole close to where the refrigerant line went through. Take a screwdriver & carefully peel away the insulation next to the lines. If you can't get through in the same hole you would probably be safe drilling next to it. You could also come out low in one of the back corners near the compressor underneath. There should be nothing there. You can seal things up later with silicone sealant. You DO NOT want to damage the lines or evaporator plate inside.

I would not drill holes in the sides. It looks like that unit is useing the sides as the condenser, meaning there are refrigerant lines on the inside of the exterior side panels to dissipate heat. If the sides of the unit are warm while the unit is running then that is the case.

All the plastic plug is for is to give the manufacturer a place to inject the foam.

I thought about trying to expand the refrigerant hole, but what a little paranoud because I definitely don't want to damage that. That's what made me think the area of the tank holder would be a good idea. If the gas line is 5/16, should I shoot for a 3/8 hole?

I think you are spot on with the sides as condensers, as they do get warm from time to time.

Also, anyone know where you can get the external tank holders?

Comment

Originally posted by cpferris View Post
            I thought about trying to expand the refrigerant hole, but what a little paranoud because I definitely don't want to damage that. That's what made me think the area of the tank holder would be a good idea. If the gas line is 5/16, should I shoot for a 3/8 hole?

I think you are spot on with the sides as condensers, as they do get warm from time to time.

Also, anyone know where you can get the external tank holders?
            I just measured my 3/16 id line & it would take a 1/2" hole for that so you may need a larger hole for the 5/16. You need to know the exterior dimension of your line before you drill.
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

I drilled the hole last night. Basically, I drilled right through the lower screw hole which supported the tank holder. I did take a small bit and make the initial hole, then probed around before expanding. I had planned to use my existing gas line, but when my new regulator and coupler shower up from MicroMatic, I realized that I would need a larger diameter line to get it to attached to the couple and regulator. So it looks like I will need to expand the hold to a hair larger than 5/8. I will do that today. I will take some more pics tonight and load them up, just in case anyone else finds it useful.

Comment

Is that just a strange pic angle? Or is your beer line hole going to the faucet tiny. It almost looks like its just big enough for the line... If thats the case no wonder it gets warm on those types. On my kenmore the hole is about 2 in. around. ??
                But thanks again on getting back on that project.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCNUT View Post
                  Is that just a strange pic angle? Or is your beer line hole going to the faucet tiny. It almost looks like its just big enough for the line... If thats the case no wonder it gets warm on those types. On my kenmore the hole is about 2 in. around. ??
                  But thanks again on getting back on that project.
                  Oh you are correct, the hole is just big enough for the beer line. What's strange though is that I have had my unit since about 2001 (probably 30 kegs), and I have never had the "warming" issue that everyone else seems to describe. I figure I am not going to mess with it until it becomes a problem. I am not sure I have the "standard" Danby either. Mine was customized by a company called Neat Brewing Ideas in Canada. They are no longer in business, but I really haven't had any issues to report.

Comment

Success

Here are some follow up pics. Everything went fairly smoothly, though I had a problem with getting the "U" coupler to lock down on the keg. It kinda looks like the top of the keg might be damaged, but I got it hooked on for now. Sorry about the poor lighting in my basement, but these are better than nothing. Currently at about 40 degrees at the tap, and 30psi. After cascade, there is about a 1" head. Tasted great.

Pic 1: The drilled hole as seen from the back of the unit.

Pic 2: The drilled hole as seen from the inside of the unit.

Pic 3: Close-up of the inside whole with line and silicone.

Pic 4: Back of the unit with cylinder, hose and silicone.

I will post one more message with pics of the keg and first pour.

Comment

The keg and the pour...

Here are the last two pics:

Pic 5: Tapped Guinness keg.

Pic 6: The first poured pint during cascade.

Comment

Working...
                      X