Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing internal freezer from mini-fridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing internal freezer from mini-fridge?

I have an old GE mini-fridge that I would like to convert. The problem is it has a little freezer inside. There is a single coolant tube running to it. Can I just clamp then cut that tube?
    Or are these type of fridges just a no-go?

Also, how common is it for the little fridges to have coolant lines in the top?

Thanks in advance!

You won't likely be able to crimp the tubes well enough to prevent them from leaking.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

The little freezer is what cools the fridge, so I don't think you want to remove it. I think on a previous post here someone had the same issue and they dropped the freezer part down so it was resting on the backside of the unit. You might try a "search forum" for this or if anyone else here remembers this. Don't break any lines or you'll have a warm storeage box.

Comment

Yeah, your right. I just searched, and it is apparently the sole cooling source.
        I'll leave it as a bottle/can fridge, and keep an eye out for a chest freezer or somethin for kegs.

Comment

Originally posted by lunkhead View Post
          The little freezer is what cools the fridge, so I don't think you want to remove it. I think on a previous post here someone had the same issue and they dropped the freezer part down so it was resting on the backside of the unit. You might try a "search forum" for this or if anyone else here remembers this. Don't break any lines or you'll have a warm storeage box.
          What he said.

Do not try to pinch off the tubes. Refrigerator/freezers are essentially freezers that are throttled down to provide cooling for the refrigerator section. Each system's compressor, condenser, evaporator etc. is sized to match with each other so to reduce the capacity of the system by pinching off tubing would reduce the efficiency & potentially 'kill' the system.

And yes, I'm not known as THE ICEMAN simply because it sounds cool.
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
          X