Making it strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making it strong

I've got an old Kenmore refrigerator out back with a dead compressor. I am considering turning it into a kegerator. I can replace the compressor myself, its not a problem, its what I do.

My concern is with the interior cabinet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinforce the inside to stand up to the weight of a full keg?

I did a quick search of the forum & was not able to find anything to address this.

Any ideas?
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
    I've got an old Kenmore refrigerator out back with a dead compressor. I am considering turning it into a kegerator. I can replace the compressor myself, its not a problem, its what I do.

My concern is with the interior cabinet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinforce the inside to stand up to the weight of a full keg?

I did a quick search of the forum & was not able to find anything to address this.

Any ideas?
    If you think the fridge floor will not hold, you could cut a simple flat 'floor' out of some plywood, the thicker the better. This would help distribute the weight of the keg to the entire floor area of the refrigerator.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post
      If you think the fridge floor will not hold, you could cut a simple flat 'floor' out of some plywood, the thicker the better. This would help distribute the weight of the keg to the entire floor area of the refrigerator.
      Not a bad idea but it looks like the solution to my problem will take a bit of engineering.
      I pulled the vegetable drawers out & found the bottom of the cabinet is slanted upward toward the back to make room for the compressor underneath. It looks like I will have to fabricate some type of platform to provide a flat surface for the keg. I'm fairly accomplished with a welder so I guess I need to get to the drawing board.
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
        Not a bad idea but it looks like the solution to my problem will take a bit of engineering.
        I pulled the vegetable drawers out & found the bottom of the cabinet is slanted upward toward the back to make room for the compressor underneath. It looks like I will have to fabricate some type of platform to provide a flat surface for the keg. I'm fairly accomplished with a welder so I guess I need to get to the drawing board.
        This is exactly the same problem I had with my refrigerator turned kegerator. I ended up building a wood platform for the keg to sit on. It is actually a small base, but holds the kegs well. The plaform is approximately 8 inches high and 12 inches square. It is reinforced with cross beams on the inside of the platform.

Dave

Comment

You could build the frame from 2x6 and use 3/4" plywood as the base for the keg, and you can double the plywood if needed. I have an old side by side fridge that I plan on converting, and I used an empty keg with a couple of 2x6's to see if it would work. Good Luck, post some pics when you have it up and running.

Comment

Simple solution is to use bricks, such as small pavers to build it up and then put some type of platform on to to level it to the back of the fridge.
            Attached Files

Comment

If you are a welder then I would go nuts and build something but I managed to fabricate something out of wood using 3/4" plywood and 2x4's for legs to hold it up. Have never had a problem with it.
              Ed
              Blue Line Draft Systems
              www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Originally posted by edramshaw View Post
                If you are a welder then I would go nuts and build something but I managed to fabricate something out of wood using 3/4" plywood and 2x4's for legs to hold it up. Have never had a problem with it.

Originally posted by BIGDOGG8590
                ...Good Luck, post some pics when you have it up and running.
                Well, I replaced the compressor & it is working great. The box is holding between 34 to 36 degrees right now.
                Next I start fabricating the platform from steel.

I'll try & show the whole process. It may take a while. My plans are a bit grandiose.
                I am thinking of replacing the door liner with aluminum diamond plate & perhaps lining the inside of the cabinet as well. Ultimately I'm planning to paint the exterior. Perhaps with a nice flame job or something.
                I'll let you guys know.
                -Dave Barry-
                -Martin Luther-

Comment

Just a tease...

Getting damn close to finally finishing my kegerator conversion. I've got a buddy that has an auto/body shop that 'volunteered' to help me with the paint job.
                  I kept coming up with other things I wanted to do with it. When I get all the pictures processed ( I don't have a digital as yet ) I will post them here for your assessment.

-Dave Barry-
                  -Martin Luther-

Comment

00000h!

Thats Hot!
                    I cool my tower with Beer.
                    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Tux

That is a pretty sick paint job my friend. I want to paint **** on my as well but not sure what. My friend suggested to paint a tux design on the front maybe something like this http://http://www.made-in-china.com/...uit-Tuxedo.jpg

on my kegerator
                      Beer Me

Comment

Killer Kegerator

Here's the process of turning a dead fridge into a custom kegerator.
                        Alright kids, here we go...

The humble beginnings.
                        It was out back for a while. Had to replace the compressor.
                        Had to weld up support to make up for the compressor compartment.
                        Machine turning the inner panels.

To be continued...
                        -Dave Barry-
                        -Martin Luther-

Comment

The inner door panel.
                          The 'splash' plate.
                          Starting the flames.
                          The grunt doing the grunt work. My buddy Russ did the actual painting.

To be continued...
                          -Dave Barry-
                          -Martin Luther-

Comment

It flows.
                            She's done.
                            If you look close you can see the new handles I fabricated to replace the old cheesy fridge handles.
                            Ready for the brew!
                            -Dave Barry-
                            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Wow! What more can I say

Comment

Working...
                              X