Freezing Summit SBC-490B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing Summit SBC-490B

There is something that is triggering the thermostat to make the compressor constantly run. I replaced thermostat (twice to make sure i didn't get a bad one to replace a bad one). It shuts off only when placed in the off position. Otherwise just keeps cooling until freezes up. If it were compressor relay issue I believe it would not shut off even in off position but I could be wrong. Any ideas?????

I was emailing all afternoon with a service tech from Summit and they were helpful helping me check it out, but in the end they said that everything appears to be set up correctly but that that they and figure out why the thermostat constantly calls for COLD and that my unit is a 2008 so thanks for contacting us.
    Last edited by mcr122; 12-07-2020, 04:01 PM.

I’d guess the relay is faulty. You have had three thermostats in there and the compressor clearly works.
    Last edited by djc; 12-07-2020, 06:51 PM.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Yes, replacing relay my next step, now the next nightmare. Have been searching all over the net for the part, cant find. Check with Summit directly and they say the part no longer available. I can't believe there would not be some laying around somewhere. Would love to save this unit, at least get a few more years out of it since the compressor seems to work like a champ. Pics of the relay and overload uploaded. Any recommendations GREATLY appreciated.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

There is an easy solution for you - get an inkbird controller. You plug the kegerator into it, and it uses it's own thermostat to control when it sends power to the kegerator. $35 fix, amazon can have it to you tomorrow.

Comment

Tried the inkbird controller fix. worked for a few days then one evening I got home from work and the Inkbird indicator was beeping like crazy. The temperature had gone way above where i had set the controller to indicate. The unit was just completely shut off. uplugged the inkbird and the compressor went back to working just never shutting off , soooo back to freezing up.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder if the electrical problem with the kegerator created too much draw on the inkbird? Do the inkbird instructions point you to what could cause it to stop controlling and start beeping?

Comment

I also have a Summit 490 (outside stainless steel model SBC490OSSSTBTwin) purchased in 2011. It has been doing the same as described in this thread for the last 6-8 months. It either runs constantly (thermo dial needs to be turned about 1/6 - 1/4 turn from off before it kicks on), or it doesn't run at all. I haven't replaced any parts. Wondering if you ever got your problem resolved mcr122? I don't want to throw money at it if I can't get it working correctly... But definitely don't want to waste this thing because, like you said, the compressor still runs like a champ.

Comment

Working...
              X