Skip the blower with Kegerator high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip the blower with Kegerator high?

Brand new to the forum and designing my own "through the wall" kegerator system. I am getting out of my lane and into the scientific realm where I perhaps should not be, but... Could I skip a blower and simply raise my fridge and beer tank to a mark above my faucet in the wall. My thinking is that heat rises and cold would replace. So the cold air would "fall" into the tube that typically is used for blower air. I would need to find a fridge with an outlet toward the bottom. It would also be a little difficult to build a platform, hoist the fridge, and then lift a keg, but I am probably sticking with 1/6 sizes anyway. Get back in my lane?

That won't work, cold air falling into a tube is not a viable option. You need to have the entire length of beer line up to the back of the shank at the same temp as the cooler. The blower you are avoiding is a $35 item that can be built yourself in about 30 minutes.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Great info. Not trying to be cheap, just trying to possibly simplify and reduce noise and a step in my beer drinking process. My thought is to turn the fan on when I want a beer or three and off when I am not drinking (example: at night til 6pm the next day or out of town) since it causes significant sweating. Would be nice to just forget about turning on or off, but I'm sure I would get used to it. Thanks for the thoughts!

Comment

The blower is a PC fan, so in comparison to a fridge it makes no noise when it is running, and doesn't create wind noise. Turning the fan on and off is a tough act, your 'beer or three' will be quite foamy. Even if you turn it on a while before drinking, the damage will have already been done to the beer in the line, so it will be foam. You will lose more beer to foaming than it costs to keep the fan running. You are planning this as the beer line and blower line in a conduit going from the fridge to a box at the back of the shanks, correct? You might want to review any of the threads here that have the word foam in the title. The beer needs to be kept at the same temp from keg to faucet, and departure will result in foam from the CO2 being released from solution. Picture pouring a soda from a warm 2L bottle onto ice.
        Last edited by djc; 10-28-2020, 11:56 AM.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Working...
        X