How to efficiently swap kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to efficiently swap kegs

You're nearing the end of your current keg and it's time to replace it. You really don't want to wait until your current keg is completely empty before placing an order for a new one (which might take a week to come in) but you also don't have a place to fit a spare keg and keep it refrigerated. What's a guy to do?

The reality of my current situation is that we bought a keg of Paulaner Wies'n and are enjoying it a lot. We also are discussing having friends over for a small Oktoberfest party. That being said, I don't know how much beer I'll have left when that party rolls around and it would be really embarrassing to run out in the middle of the party.
    Has anybody found a way around this?

I have kind of thought “what would I do, if we lost power for a few days”. My answer has been, ‘ put the keg in a garbage can and cover it with a few bags of ice’.
    luckily this has not occurred yet. But I would probably adopt a similar attitude in your example.
    your post was over a month ago, what did you do in your situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Hanzosbm View Post
      You're nearing the end of your current keg and it's time to replace it. You really don't want to wait until your current keg is completely empty before placing an order for a new one (which might take a week to come in) but you also don't have a place to fit a spare keg and keep it refrigerated. What's a guy to do?
      I'm responding to this because you are so right, never seems to fail you are low on beer (but not out) with an event coming up. If I could do it again I would have bought a dual keg fridge and solved he problem that way.

Another way is to talk with the local liquor store guy where you get your kegs. Mine is willing to keep a keg for me until I'm ready for it. When I'm low, place a call and there is a keg on hand for when I need it. Of course your only option for the actual party night is the trash can of ice which works, if you are pretty sure you will empty your current keg.

For anyone looking to buy their first kegerator consider a dual keg fridge (even if you only have one tap running) to solve just this problem.

Comment

After drinking draft beer at home for 10 years, I've kinda figured out how to know by the weight of the keg. Only once in my dozens of kegs have I run out of beer in the middle of a get together, and that too because non-beer drinkers started drinking beer (that happens all the time with draft at home btw). Anyway, there are magnetic keg level indictors that can attach to the keg to tell you if you are running low. I'm sure someone will have a link to those

Comment

I keep an extra 5 gallon keg, My fridge is large enough to store two, one active and one cold.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful info.

Comment

Working...
            X