Perplexing Issue - Kegerator Not Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perplexing Issue - Kegerator Not Cooling

I have an issue with my kegerator - it is not cooling down and I cannot figure out what's wrong. Here is a run down of what's happened.

Kegerator is a Danby, DKC645BLS. This thing has worked great for years, except a recurring, slight ice buildup on the cooling panel in the rear that was solved with an overnight rest. Four years ago I decided to speed up the ice melt by chipping the ice, and ended up poking a hole in the refrigerant line. I was able to repair the hole w/ some JB Weld, and I tapped into the compressor line with a supco bullet piercing valve. I picked up an AC vacuum pump and a can of refrigerant. Kegerator worked perfectly for years. Fast forward to a month ago, and kegerator will not cool. Compressor kicks on and runs (no clicking sound) but doesn't cool; however the compressor is quite hot (not warm, nor scolding hot, but enough heat to where you don't want to hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds) I thought maybe it needed more refrigerant, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I bypassed the control board from other threads on this particular model to allow the compressor to run freely without a temp control, yet this didn't solve it.

I'm not sure what the issue is. What am I overlooking? Is the compressor bad?

Ok. Solved the issue WHY it wasn't cooling. Seems the system didn't have refrigerant in it; I was apparently getting false positives with my gauges that it was full. I filled it with refrigerant and it immediately got cool, yet didn't last too long. I have a leak somewhere and am now searching for it. So, in case anyone has a similar issue to what I had - make sure the system is charged properly with refrigerant.

Comment

Working...
    X