Tap on the side of a refrigerator advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap on the side of a refrigerator advice

I have a refrigerator I want to drill a hole in the side of instead of the door to install the beer tap. I will then sink the drip tray into the counter. I did this exact thing at my last house and it worked great but I moved and left it there. Someone told me the reason they only sell door mount kits is because newer refrigerators have refrigeration lines in the side walls. I contacted Whirlpool to ask but they would only say they don't recommend modifying their refrigerator in any way.

Do any of Ya'll have any useful information or advice before I take a chance on ruining the frig?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, welcome to the forum...

While the unit is running, put your hand along the sides of the outer cabinet & feel for heat/warmth. If you feel heat, do not drill into the sides. Or you can look at the back or underneath for coils that radiate heat. If you find coils it is most likely safe to drill.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks. Good advice.

Comment

Did you actually go through this, Mike? Sounds like a great idea. Which Whirlpool fridge do you have?
        Check out these quality probiotics for ibs if you're having issues.​​

Comment

Originally posted by Fontiss View Post
          Did you actually go through this, Mike? Sounds like a great idea. Which Whirlpool fridge do you have?
          Sorry for the delayed response I just got "a round 2it".

It worked out great....eventually. I have the 18.2 cu/ft Whirlpool top freezer refrigerator. Although there was absolutely no indication of heat (or cool for that matter) anywhere on the inside or outside of the sides there ARE refrigerant lines in the side walls. I used rotary a cut-off wheel to cut a shallow hole in just the metal skin of the refrigerator then used a screwdriver to pick out the spray foam insulation so I could see what I would be cutting through and avoid cutting a line if it was there..and again it was. I tried to make my inspection hole small enough that the plastic flange that came with the kit would cover it and was almost successful. A tiny bit of my cut shows but it's hardly noticeable. I used spray foam to fill around the tapper once I cut through the inner plastic lining with a holesaw. I also had to build a platform to raise the frig to allow mugs to clear the adjacent counter top. I decided to make it tall enough to store my spare CO2 tank underneath.

More of a project than I planned but I'm happy with the result.

Comment

Working...
          X