FlexiDraft impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlexiDraft impressions

I've been lurking & learning for a while -- thanks for all the great info on here.

I recently got a Kegerator and quickly found that it isn't tall enough to accommodate German 1/2 kegs with my type 'A' coupler -- I barely have 4 inches of clearance above the keg. So, I started looking for a low profile coupler. I found one internationally but they didn't have it in stock plus it was difficult logistically. Then I came across the Micro Matic FlexiDraft coupler which is only about 3 inches closed and was going to fit for sure. However, that coupler is part of a proprietary system and needs its own beer line which in turn needs its own tower and faucet. I guess I could have just got the coupler and the line, cut the line and come up with an adapter to connect it to my existing tower but I decided to give it a shot and get the whole setup.

Since I haven't seen any posts on FlexiDraft I wanted to share my impressions after going through two kegs in case someone else is considering it as well:
    • co2 line hookup is the same as with regular couplers so no issue there
    • beer line is single-use and includes all parts that touch beer (coupler and faucet inserts). It costs around $7. To me that's worth it given that I don't have to clean anything when I put in a new keg, I just drop in a new line. I'm not a fan of creating more landfill but here it makes sense to me. I guess lines could be reused but I haven't tried it because they'd be really hard to clean (they don't come apart).
    • beer line is 5' long and 5/32" ID which is a tad smaller than the 3/16" lines I'm used to. Which is great because it flows like a 10 foot 3/16 line. I like my lagers a little warmer so I often run them at 16-18 psi and it has been working well (quick but no firehose).
    • tower comes with studs welded to the bottom (it's meant for kegerators with through holes around the tower opening). I definitely didn't want to drill holes in my kegerator so I cut off the studs and drilled holes in the bottom of the tower so I could bolt it on in place of my regular tower. That was a bit of a challenge but I was lucky to have access to a drill press so it wasn't too bad.
    Overall, I'm happy with the setup and it is working well. I'm thinking about getting the D coupler and hose as well for domestic kegs because I already got used to not having to clean anything

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see pictures, cheers

Thank you for the review, I was wondering about the ease of use and quality. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
    X