Fridge conversion vs. kegerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge conversion vs. kegerator

I'm sure this is a topic which has come up many times, but I'm new here (not new to brewing) and wonder what's the best/most current thinking. I'm finishing our home theater and bar space, and our MicroMatic Kegerator just died. Space in the bar area isn't a problem, but I found the cost for a new double tap kegerator is much higher than I expected. A new, full-size fridge would be considerably less. I have regulators, tanks and lines, and I'm handy with tools. What are the pros and cons of converting a fridge vs a dedicated kegerator? It seems like the fridge would also have storage room for cans and bottles, and a freezer section for frosting glasses. Is it purely for space reasons that people get kegerators?

I'm no expert but I wrestled with this recently (going so far as to actually purchase and return a kegerator before deciding to convert a fridge) so I'll throw in my 2 cents.
    I love the size of the full fridge, being able to put the larger gas tank I need for Guinness inside the fridge instead of having to run the line outside is a major plus for me. I also have a shelf I was able to leave in the fridge so theres a little room to store cans or pop. As you said the freezer is awesome; having ice cubes, chilled vodka/jag, mugs right at your bar instead of having to go somewhere else is a major plus in my book.
    Only downside I see that I hadnt thought of before I really hammered down on the process was that because the back of the inside of most fridges comes up at an angle (where your crispers go) and I'm using full kegs there wasnt enough room for my keg so I had to build a base for it to sit on to get it over this. Also the inside of my fridge door had egg trays, butter holders, shelves, etc so I couldnt go straight through it. I had to remove it and come up with a way to finish it off...it didnt turn out perfect.
    I'm sure others can speak to the effects on the beer itself.
    Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to both of you to the forum,
      I opted to go with doing a conversion. Going with a conversion allows you to customize it, as I did. You can check out the thread of my build "KILLER KEGERATOR" below in my signature. It's an old thread with some of the pictures missing but you will get the idea...

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
      X