Advise on Build it or Buy it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on Build it or Buy it

OK, so i bought a Danby before I read this forum and low and belhod it did not work. After reading the horror stories on here, I promply retuned the unit and got my money back. Because by the time i bought the parts to fix the Danby unit, I could have just bought or built a better unit. So here are my options going forward trying to keep my cost under $700.

1) Buy the kenmore unit for ~$650 from Sears. That one seems to have good reviews from the people in the forums. I own a lot of kenmore appliances, and they have all been great so far.

2) Build one out of a chest freezer. Total cost about $620.
    A. Premium - Tower Refrigerator Conversion Kit - $240
    B. Brewer's Edge Digital Temperature Controller II - $99
    C. New 7.2 or 8.8 cuft Chest Freezer - $175 - $250 (depends on the one i get)
    D. 5# CO2 Cylinder - $70

So my question is, is one route better than the other? I'm indifferent to the labor to convert one, I would have to assemble the kenmore anyhow. I'm courious about how you all would view the performance and quality of the final system. If the resulting chest freezer conversion is a much better system, than I am fine with the labor involved, if they would be equivalent than I would probably just get the Kenmore and save myself the build time (and screw up costs). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to a noob,

TFP (Thanks4Playing)

If I had to do it over, I would do a freezer conversion.
    AVANTI BD6000 MOD's
    MicroMatic Tower with Faucet
    MicroMatic Stainless Faucet
    Brewer's Edge II Thermostat
    MicroMatic Primary Single Gauge
    MicroMatic "D" System Coupler
    MicroMatic 12" Stainless Flush Drip Tray
    Dayton Blower

Comment

+1 conversion
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Knowing what I do now, I would go with a freezer conversion. Good luck with the project.

Comment

TFP, Have you decided yet? I am in the same boat as you and am only hesitant to build one because due to my inexperience, it may not look or work as good as the kenmoore unit, where as the kenmoore unit would be the safe bet but probably mediocre performance.

Comment

Same here, I have a Kenmore fridge out in the garage, where I measured the fridge side and it should hold a 1/4 and 1/6 kegs fine, corneys as well...but my lack of handy man skills scares me...the price is right too, I have most of the parts as I bought a kit that had the faucet/knob, CO2 Gauge, air line, coupler, and CO2 tank...

I need the shank, beer hose, and drip tray...and tools to do the work to this fridge.

But I want this by Saturday, to watch OU beat Mizzou...doubt that can happen...so buying would be way faster!

Decisions decisions.
            Last edited by BartenderPlease; 11-29-2007, 07:53 PM.
            "When the Okies left Oklahoma and went to California, the average intelligence of both states went up." -Will Rogers

Comment

i would build one. I have built several and converting is rather simple, If you want to save yourself some hassle make sure you have enough room in the freezer for the co2 cylinder. All the walls of a deepfreezer have coils in them so drilling a hole for the co2 is the hardest part. One can build a 2X4 frame on top and drill into that but I find it doesnt look to nice. Or drill into the compresser box and pass the line that way. But I found the easiest was to leave it inside the unit itself. Then all that is really left is cutting a hole in the top and connecting some tubeing. You can actully run the hoses then throught the light fixture area of the interior lid so that you dont have to cut any holes on the inside to give it a nice finished look. You may want to place some wood supports in the lid for added tower suppot. Good luck .

Comment

The Kenmore fridge I have out in the garage, I took out the bottom two drawers/shelves last night and noticed there was a slant in the bottom back..leaving me only like 15" deep, not as deep as I need for a full sized keg.

So I got bummed, but then I remembered I can get smaller kegs, which would be less wasteful anyway...as I doubt me and the wife and occasional friends would drink through a full keg quickly. So the 1/4 or 1/6 kegs would fit in there fine with a 5lb Co2...wouldn't it? I think the space is 15" x 18"...

So now I'm thinking I'll convert, once again, instead of buying.

Its ok that I can never get a full keg in there right? I could probably even get two of the slimmer ones in there eventually...expansion to come later after the first one goes in first, smooth and successfully...

Is this thinking off?
                "When the Okies left Oklahoma and went to California, the average intelligence of both states went up." -Will Rogers

Comment

Building doesnt have to be expensive. It just takes some patience and it doesnt hurt yo be of the "hebrew persuasion"

I found an incomplete kegrator on Craigslist for $25
                  (The day after, I saw a complete one with co2 tank for free! DOH!)

Bought a 20# co2 tank that had been used to ferment wine for $20. Took off the valve and cleaned it. Took a couple hours. Then took it in and got it exchanged for a full for one for $12

Waiting on some new lines and a tray off of beverage factor y

All in all, including the external digital temp display and the lock hasps and matching lock set as well as a thermostat setup I desgined myself, the thing will be a little over $200 after all is said and done

Comment

I got a Kenmore a few weeks ago. On my third keg. It has been great.
                    Sean
                    I cool my tower with Beer.
                    http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Originally posted by bonefish View Post
                      Sean
                      Third keg in a few weeks.... nice. You are one dedicated beer drinker. My hat is off to you.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by bonefish View Post
                        Sean
                        Must be in a Frat or Dorm!

Comment

Big....

Glasses.
                          No college life here. I really like having a cool pop after work. And lots of em on the weekend. Some day I'll post a pic of my favorite room.
                          SEAN

Comment

Build It...most definitely

My recommendation would be to build it yourself. I had an extra side-by-side refrigerator in my basement that I converted to a kegerator. I ran the lines up from the basement into my kitchen so all you see is just the tower sticking out of my counter. I only spent about 8 hours getting the whole system set up. It is helpful to have all of the right parts and tools. To that end, I would recommend reading the information on this site for running a beer line 5 feet. My run is slightly longer at about 6 or 7 feet, but I get a perfect pout every time.

I also saw that someone mentioned the slant in the bottom/back of the refigerator. I too had this problem and only measured 15". However, I solved it by building a platform to set the 1/2 barrel keg on. I would recommend doing the same thing. My platform is about 8 inches high on all sides.

Comment

garage pics

Pictures of my kenmore.
                              SEAN
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X