Stout faucet questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stout faucet questions

Hi - I'm thinking about getting a nitro stout faucet for my kegerator.

First off - any suggestions for a faucet? I was looking at the Micromatic #12543 (with short shank) - but I'm really worried about the comment "DO NOT pull faucet handle more than 45 degrees when pouring". When using this faucet - do you think an uninformed user might accidentally do this? I cannot individually train each person on the use of this faucet, and I also don't think a sign would be enough. Doesn't look like there are too many other options out there - only other one besides the Micromatic that I can find is the Chill Passion CFP67 (which is sold without branding at most places). I don't see any warning labels about that one.

Next - is there any value in using a stout faucet for non-nitro beers? I mean, I pour a lot of stouts (currently out of Perlick 630SS faucets). Would a stout faucet improve this in any way? I'm assuming no.

Further - are they as hard as they look to clean? From watching a video on Youtube - it looks like they're spring loaded and also have a pin mechanism that you have to press out. Compared to the 630SS that looks... super annoying.

Thank you!

Do most stouts require special faucet and gas?
    I am thinking NOT Guiness. Maybe Underground Mountain by Founders - or a local brewery.
    Do i need a beer gas mix? and/or a stout faucet?
    Gracias

Comment

Not really sure what you are asking. Guinness most definitely needs blended gas and a stout faucet, it is what makes the creaminess and cascades in the glass. Underground Mountain is not a stout, it is a brown ale and does not need blended gas or a special faucet.
      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

DJC - you are correct - Underground is an Ale - my bad.
        my question is - for a stout - but not Guinness - do you need special equipment other than what I use for ales and lagers?
        i guess the reason that I am saying not Guinness - every time I google ‘stout equipment’, I get an answer like - ‘ if you want that creamy head on your Guinness ....., you need nitrogen ......’
        so if I want to put a local stout in my kegerator, can I run it with just CO2? I am presuming that I could use my regular faucet in a pinch. What I read about a stout faucet is that it has a longer extension which adds to the head of your draft.
        if I am tight on funds, could I run it with current faucet and CO2 ? If I need a Beer gas mix, do I need a special regulator?
        thanks for your reply

Comment

There are plenty of CO2 dispensed stouts, and you don’t need a special faucet. For the ones you are considering, how does the brewery serve them? How are they available in the store - a nitro can will say it is nitro. Anything that doesn’t say nitro on the can is packaged on CO2. Personally nitro isn’t my thing - it’s ok every now and then, but you trade the feel of carbonation for smoothness and it just seems flat to me.

Comment

Awesome answer. Very strait forward.
            I am kind of a newbie with my kegerator. Bought It in February Right before the pandemic. Have had 4 kegs. Last one was Great Lakes Oktoberfest. All others have been ales. Thinking about branching out to a stout next.
            again - your answer was very strait forward.
            Cheers

Comment

In keeping with the Great Lakes theme, Edmund Fitzgerald is a top rated porter and is CO2.

Comment

Working...
              X