Tower Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower Swap

Hi all. So, I'm planning to change out the SS tower that I bought with my dual kegerator for a custom one I've made with 2" black iron pipe fittings. I purchased new SS shanks which have a straight barbed end for the tubing as I can't use the 90 degree ones that are on my existing tower. As they are brand new, I'd like to be able to re-use the beer lines that came with the kegerator. I assume all I need to do is open up the top of the tower, pry off the little metal compression clip on the tubing, then remove the tubing from the existing shank? If so, and as I assume that shank has a barbed end, will this tube come off easily or will it be a PITA? Thanks!
    Last edited by IPAJunkie; 03-29-2018, 12:29 PM.
    Kegco dual kegerator. Coldtower super tower cooler.

OK, so now I can't even post with a PC. I think this site is very valuable and am in need of assistance, but not being able to ever post and having to re-type things multiple times is just plain frustrating!

Comment

Sure is. Haven't had the PC issue yet, phone for sure. Amazingly your first post now showed up. Just slice the hose off at the barbed fitting, you'll give up an inch of line length. You will want a clamp of some kind, either reuse what you have or get a worm clamp.
      Last edited by djc; 03-29-2018, 12:41 PM.
      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

I think the PC issue I was having was copy & pasting from an email, as I've resorted to copying the body of my posts on my ipad and then emailing them to myself to paste in via my laptop, but then that didn't work!

OK, makes sense on cutting the tubing. Pretty sure I can re-use that clamp, but will make sure I have one on the new connection. I should probably get a new line and run 10', but these lines are band new and we're already WAY over budget on our little project, so that upgrade will have to wait! Thanks.

Comment

Hi all, We're finally ready for our granite countertop install, which means I need to be ready to disconnect the existing tower on my kegerator and install my new black steel pipe tower. So, the last response from djc said to just slice the beer supply tube at the barb fitting, which makes sense. If I turn off the Co2 and bleed the pressure on each line at the keg, how much will the beer that is in the lines spill (I'm assuming a lot as I'll need to pull the lines back down into the kegerator while they do the granite install)?

I assume I should be able to re-use the clamps that are on the line at the barb fitting on the shank, yes?

Comment

There is a back flow preventer in the coupler, so doing what you suggest will drain exactly no beer from the lines, and you will spill exactly all the beer in the lines. To spill no beer, turn off the CO2, untap and uncouple the keg, then hold the coupler over a bucket and unscrew the beer line and let it drain. You can reuse worm drive clamps for sure, but others depend on how mangled they got during disassembly. For the cost of the clamps, better to just buy a few new ones. You are going to have to make a collar to go on top of the kegerator to bridge the gap between the top of the unit and the underside of the bar top, or else you will always have foam caused by the warm spot in the lines.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, seems like I'm either unscrewing the beer line and draining to a bucket, or will spill some out of the beer line top as I pull the lines down from the tower. Either way, doesn't seem like too much loss or mess, but will take your advice and unscrew the line from the coupler over a bucket.

My current tower doesn't have worm drive clamps, but rather what appears to be a pinch type of clamp. I'm hopeful that I can slide these off the existing connection and re-use, but if not, I can always pick up some worm drive clamps at local hardware store.

Thanks for the suggestion on the collar. I've done some reading on this already, and there is only going to be about a 1" gap between top of kegerator and bottom of granite, so I'm hoping to use some sort of insulated foam (similar to what's inside my current tower) to seal that gap. I also run a tower cooler, so hoping that will help alleviate that issue.

Comment

Hi all, Thought I'd post an update on my custom tower project. The install went very well. I did end up getting a couple worm drive clamps to clamp the beer lines down to the new barb shanks. Pic attached.
                Only 2 small problems:
                1. The tower is wider than my spill mats! Any excess dripping hits the edges of the mats and splashes on the counter. I can live with this, but I missed this in my planning.
                2. When I turned my ColdTower super tower cooler on for the first time, the tower was icy cold (love this tower cooler!), but unfortunately, it caused the black iron pipe T to oxidize a bit. So, I'm now trying to figure out how to clean the rust off, and also how to avoid this in the future. I'm wondering if I take the tower apart and use some foam rubber insulation, particularly on the T where the tower cooler is pushing most of the cold air moisture, it might help alleviate this issue.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by IPAJunkie; 05-09-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Hi all, Thought I'd post an update on my custom tower project. The install went very well. I did end up getting a couple worm drive clamps to clamp the beer lines down to the new barb shanks. Pic attached.
                  Only 2 small problems:
                  1. The tower is wider than my spill mats! Any excess dripping hits the edges of the mats and splashes on the counter. I can live with this, but I missed this in my planning.
                  2. When I turned my ColdTower super tower cooler on for the first time, the tower was icy cold (love this tower cooler!), but unfortunately, it caused the black iron pipe T to oxidize a bit. So, I'm now trying to figure out how to clean the rust off, and also how to avoid this in the future. I'm wondering if I take the tower apart and use some foam rubber insulation, particularly on the T where the tower cooler is pushing most of the cold air moisture, it might help alleviate this issue.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A sweaty tower is a happy tower. Not enough room to insulate it enough to stop it.

Comment

True, but a rusty tower isn't good looking. Wondering if I remove the rust and treat/coat/seal the pipe if that will help?
                      Last edited by IPAJunkie; 05-10-2018, 06:09 AM. Reason: Original message sent via iPhone and did not post correctly.

Comment

It definitely will help, whatever you do with exposed metal in a wet environment.
                        Last edited by djc; 05-10-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I am getting ready to build the same 2" black iron tower. Have you fixed the rust issue yet? I have done a little research which involved cleaning the pipe and coating with certain things that will prevent rust. Have you found anything that works yet?

Comment

Working...
                          X