Blower too hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower too hot

OK, as you all have seen from my recent pics, I have recently installed a Dayton blower. It was running fine for the first few hours, however it is now so hot that the heat it is throwing off has bumped my keger up to 46 degrees. I have unplugged the blower and the temp is quickly dropping, now at 40 degrees. Any thoughts?
    AVANTI BD6000 MOD's
    MicroMatic Tower with Faucet
    MicroMatic Stainless Faucet
    Brewer's Edge II Thermostat
    MicroMatic Primary Single Gauge
    MicroMatic "D" System Coupler
    MicroMatic 12" Stainless Flush Drip Tray
    Dayton Blower

Justs a thought...but is the fan still resting in the beer coolie?

I noticed that they sell a bracket, that goes around the body of the blower, which would leave air free to circulate around the entire blower case.

Maybe the bottom of the blower needs air to circulate around it. There should be an 800 #, in the small booklet that came with it, give Dayton a buzz and ask.

You could just have a bum fan.

I've been researching this stuff, (ad nauseum), and I've never read where a Dayton blower fan heats up like that. Given that, and the fact that Micromatic sells 'em, just to cool down towers, leads me to believe its something simple.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

There are openings in the motor itself that need access to free air to cool the motor. Make sure they are open. I use shaded pole blowers like mad at work and they are in environments that would lend to heating more than the insides of a kegerator would. Cooling a beer tower should be the easiset job this fan ever gets assigned to.

EDIT: I just looked at your pics thread. The vent holes to the motor won't get enough air the way you have the motor sitting on that red thing.
      Last edited by psychodad; 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
        There are openings in the motor itself that need access to free air to cool the motor. Make sure they are open. I use shaded pole blowers like mad at work and they are in environments that would lend to heating more than the insides of a kegerator would. Cooling a beer tower should be the easiset job this fan ever gets assigned to.

EDIT: I just looked at your pics thread. The vent holes to the motor won't get enough air the way you have the motor sitting on that red thing.
        THANKS!!!!! Red Foam thing removed. I will monitor the temp. A little vibration until I get a mounting bracket.
        AVANTI BD6000 MOD's
        Dayton Blower

Comment

So I removed the foam thing and turned the blower back on. Went to bed around midnight and the liquid temp had gone back down to 38 degrees. I woke up this morning and it was up to 50 degrees. URGH!!!!!!
          AVANTI BD6000 MOD's
          Dayton Blower

Comment

But did you set the blower motor back down on the vent holes like it was on the red foam?

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
              But did you set the blower motor back down on the vent holes like it was on the red foam?

Sort of. There is a little bump on the bottom, right in the middle, so i thought that would be sufficent air flow. I will work on placing it similiar to where it will be mounted and monitor it regularly tonight.
              AVANTI BD6000 MOD's
              Dayton Blower

Comment

Well, I got the bower placed as if it were going to be mounted like the others I have seen on this forum. The liquid temp rose from 35 degrees to 41 degrees in under 3 hours. The blower does not seem to be very hot, just enough to make my POS Avanti too warm.
                AVANTI BD6000 MOD's
                Dayton Blower

Comment

So now the motor isn't hot? That's progress.

What are you using for temperature control? I'm not familiar with the Avanti control and where the sensor is located, but mayhaps you are moving air around now to the point that it isn't reading the overall cabinet temperature or it is having an effect on the refrigeration workings..

Comment

Working...
                  X