Home Bar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Bar Question

Okay, first time visit, first time post. Total newbie.

I just bought a nice 6' home bar that I'm pretty pleased with. It's got a space under that's deep enough for a kegerator but it would jut out a couple of inches, which I'm okay with. It would have plenty of room above and on the sides for ventilation, but not in the back.

I have two questions.

First, is that going to be okay?

Second is more complicated. What I want to do is install a single or double tap tower on top of the bar that I can run to a kegerator in the space underneath. Problem is a lot of the units I see, like kegco or edgestar, say they are free-standing use only. Does that mean I can't remove the tap tower from a typical kegerator and convert it for what I'm talking about? What's the simplest way to pull this off without spending a fortune?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure it's been addressed before but I didn't find it.

1st: Depending on the kegerator type and refrigeration system, placement in unit, if there is a condenser fan or just compressor. Honestly, you want to be able to get rid of some of that heat. If this unit has a condenser fan, you are not going to want to block this, at all! This is how the unit cools the refrigerant and recycling the heat will shorten the life expectancy drastically. If it is just a compressor, I would still want to get rid of some of that heat. Is it possible to drill some holes and install a couple 2-4 inch computer fans on the inside of the bar at area this refer deck is, pulling heat out and away?

2nd: Yes this is possible, you would attach the tower to the bar, then run, basically an extension from under the bar, down into the top of the kegerator. Making sure that the extension is sealed, the beer lines are in this extension, and then the extension is insulated. You will also need to get a blower motor. This is going to take the cool air from the kegerator and move that air up into the tower to the faucet, then returning that air back down in turn also keeping the beer in the lines cold. I have seen people use regular scheduled 40 PVC or below are links to the items on MM.
    the number one thing to remember when doing this is to make sure no heat gets in. Warm spots are bad for a beer system

Blower & Tubing & Insulation & Air Shafts

Comment

Working...
    X