Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foamy Beer from Kegerator

Hey Guys,

I recently got an Edgestar single tap kegerator. I am on my second keg, 1/6 of New Belgium Fat Tire and I'm getting like 95% foam on my pours. It's been refrigerated for several days now, PSI is set at 10, the beer line is all beer, so it seems like it's happening when it's going through the faucet. I know I need to eventually get a longer beer line (I think the one it came with is about 5ft), but I didn't really have much of an issue with this on the first keg. Any idea what could be causing the problem? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I'm totally new to this-could something be too tight that could be causing more pressure or something? Someone suggested turning off the CO2 and pouring a pint to maybe get any extra CO2 out of the lines. Do you think that will work? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

I've had this issue and it turned out to be a faulty seal in the coupler. When was the last time you cleaned the faucet thoroughly? Have you tried releasing the pressure in the keg and balancing it again? It has been suggested here before

Comment

Originally posted by BigKutta View Post
      I've had this issue and it turned out to be a faulty seal in the coupler. When was the last time you cleaned the faucet thoroughly? Have you tried releasing the pressure in the keg and balancing it again? It has been suggested here before

I just cleaned it out last week when the keg kicked so I don't think it's that, but maybe. When you say seal on the coupler, are you referring to the black ring at the bottom of it? If I were to release the pressure, do I just turn off the CO2, release what's in there and then turn it back on?

Comment

Originally posted by ncaso1989 View Post

I just cleaned it out last week when the keg kicked so I don't think it's that, but maybe. When you say seal on the coupler, are you referring to the black ring at the bottom of it? If I were to release the pressure, do I just turn off the CO2, release what's in there and then turn it back on?
        Yes, the black rubber ring seal inside the couple. Yes, to release the pressure, turn off CO2, pull the tab in the coupler to release all gas. Then rebalance. Although this has never done anything me, it may be worth a shot.

Comment

It won't do anything for you if you don't shake the keg and release the gas several times over the course of a few hours. Pulling the vent empties the headspace, but over carbed beer is beer that has absorbed excess CO2 - it is dissolved in the beer. Because you emptied the headspace doesn't mean you have done anything to the beer. Shaking the keg releases it, keeping the headspace empty gives it a place to go. Vent, shake, vent. Repeat 3 or 4 times over the course of a few hours, then reapply the proper pressure for the beer temp and v/v.
          What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
            It won't do anything for you if you don't shake the keg and release the gas several times over the course of a few hours. Pulling the vent empties the headspace, but over carbed beer is beer that has absorbed excess CO2 - it is dissolved in the beer. Because you emptied the headspace doesn't mean you have done anything to the beer. Shaking the keg releases it, keeping the headspace empty gives it a place to go. Vent, shake, vent. Repeat 3 or 4 times over the course of a few hours, then reapply the proper pressure for the beer temp and v/v.

Ok, so I'm totally new to this so I need to detail this step by step:

-Disconnect CO2
            -Vent remaining CO2
            -Shake keg to release gas
            -After a few hours, reconnect and reapply pressure

Does that sound about right?

Comment

Turn off the CO2. Vent. Shake. Vent. Repeat several times over the course of a few hours. Then reapply pressure.
              What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Working...
              X