Replacing the line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the line

Folks - Is there a writeup somewhere about replacing the line? I know it should take all of 10 min but I want to make sure that I'm taking the tower assembly apart correctly. I have the standard tower on my setup.

I do it by cutting off the end of the line by the coupler, taking the shank nut off the inside of the tower and pulling the line up and out using the faucet/shank assembly. Keep the shank nut and rounded plastic washer that lives against the inside of the tower under control so they don't drop in. Attach the new line to the back of the shank, feed it into the tower, making sure that as soon as the line gets inside the tower you replace the washer and shank nut, feed the line down into the box and make the tailpiece connection.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
      I do it by cutting off the end of the line by the coupler, taking the shank nut off the inside of the tower and pulling the line up and out using the faucet/shank assembly. Keep the shank nut and rounded plastic washer that lives against the inside of the tower under control so they don't drop in. Attach the new line to the back of the shank, feed it into the tower, making sure that as soon as the line gets inside the tower you replace the washer and shank nut, feed the line down into the box and make the tailpiece connection.
      Sounds simple enough. So basically undo the nut in the tower and go from there. Where do I get the right Line from? There is a brew shop that sell equipment, but its far. Perhaps I'll take the old line there and have them give me the new line that matches the size etc.

Comment

You can order it from Micromatic, Amazon, or drive to the home brew store. 3/16" ID beer line. Must be beer line, not generic vinyl tubing. This will fit on either 3/16" fittings or 1/4" fittings so it is a one size will do it all solution. You will find a variety of options on wall thickness, braided, low resistance, etc. I've never needed anything but the basic stuff. Works fine, and you don't feel bad about throwing it away.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
          You can order it from Micromatic, Amazon, or drive to the home brew store. 3/16" ID beer line. Must be beer line, not generic vinyl tubing. This will fit on either 3/16" fittings or 1/4" fittings so it is a one size will do it all solution. You will find a variety of options on wall thickness, braided, low resistance, etc. I've never needed anything but the basic stuff. Works fine, and you don't feel bad about throwing it away.
          Thank, I've ordered the line from amazon 3/16" ID beer line FDA approved. The switch seems simple enough. I will measure the line to the exact length of line today. Hopefully the existing standard line I got with the kegerator is 3/16"ID, because all has been working well in the setup

Comment

So I received the line today and started the replacement process. Pretty straight forward except that the replacement clamp that I got for the line that hooks to the faucet was too big to fit back through the hole in the tower once the line was clamped. So had to run to Lowes where they had a small butterfly clamp that worked. Just putting that out there for those looking to replace their lines. Also, as djc mentioned, keep the nut and washer in check when replacing. I tied it to the tower using a twisty tie. Great advice djc! Now I have a new Perlick tap and new lines!

Did notice that after the first pour the perlick did drip a bit for a couple of minutes. Maybe its adjusting. After second beer, its seems normal...1-2 drops like the old one did, I do notice that the pour from the Perlick is very smooth...maybe its just my imagination or because its new.

Comment

The pour will be smoother, there is no mechanism in the path of the beer. You might want to check the tightness of the bonnet - the nut that is at the junction of the shaft the tap handle is on and the body of the faucet. Snug it up by hand which might help with drips.

Comment

Working...
              X