Bev air BB72 exterior condensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bev air BB72 exterior condensation

Hey Guys, hopefully I can get point in the right direction or else I might be forced to get rid of this unit.

I am getting a major amount of condensation on the exterior of my fridge to the point its soaking my carpet.

at first I thought it was just the door seals but after installing a new door seal on the middle door and leaving it "break in" it's still sweating around all 3 doors like crazy.

Also it sweating a crazy amount from the underneath . I had the fridge set up on 4 planks to lift it off the ground to let the floor breath hoping it would help with any kind of condensation but it seems to not have helped or do anything.

I tilted the fridge back and pretty well the whole middle section of the underside was wet and dripping.

I had previously last summer sprayed expanding foam inside the flooring (too much) as it had holes and ended up with water build up inside which I dried out as much as I could then sprayed the foam and sealed with JB weld. so it should of taken up any open "void" so it shouldn't have any insulation issues in the floor... unless I should go back drill a few small holes through out and fill with non expanding foam to make sure its fully insulated. ( i seal the holes with JB weld after) I know its not pretty but this unit is already in fairly rough shape cosmetically .

The only thing I can think off is that its lacking insulation in the floor...

The unit ONLY sweats in the summer.. it never seems to have much condensation or any in the winter.

House temp usually sits around 68-75F unit is in the basement so its always a little colder there.

Other then creating a drip pan of some sort under it I am at a loss of what I can do. I dont care for ruining the carpet as im tearing it out soon but once my floating floor goes in this will have to be fixed or arranged so that water wont damage the floor

I'm guessing you have an older unit? From your description it sounds like the insulation inside the cabinet & floor has become saturated with moisture over time. You've already tried putting the unit on blocks so it can breathe but you say that didn't help. You could try putting a fan on it to keep air circulating but you would still have the problem of the insulation being saturated. Once that insulation gets wet there are not many options other than trying to replace it by ripping off the bottom panel. I've never attempted it and I've been working on those things a long time.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Truthfully I have no idea how old this unit is... I'd assume its getting fairly old at this point but not half as old as some of the units ive seen on here in better shape. (previous owner was harsh on this one I think) or its been in a good few shops poorly cared for.

Its the only thing that makes sense is that the flooring is saturated in water and causing it to not have a good insulation and causing condensation. Its just odd that the inside is bone dry I only have exterior condensation issues.

Id be scared if I take off the bottom panel its never going back together without some welding or something... Its got some rust building up around the seems.

guess at this point... i can just try drilling a few holes in the botton and top, spraying foam in and hope it pushes out if any water....

Ive had this unit for about 1.5 years now and paid 450 for it.... so im not at a total loss, its just a shame the actual body of the unit didnt out last the motor... my biggest fear was for the compressor to quit, never even crossed my mind the body wouldn't hold up.

Last edited by RRL; 07-14-2017, 06:42 AM.

Comment

If you picked this unit up used then the only way to tell how old it is would be to call Bev Air & give them the serial number... Or you could check the serial number on the compressor, provided it is the original. This is how you can check the compressor number... http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...te-code-or-age

If the saturated insulation is not removed I suspect all you will accomplish by using spray foam is causing the bottom of the cabinet to swell up. I have heard stories of people trying that & they ended up with a bulged floor & the insulation still wet.

THE ICEMAN
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Yea... I tried it once already a while back.... the floor had small holes inside from something dragging or sliding on it (previous owner). condensation formed inside the floor and water would press out noticed it when i put a keg in and water came up.

So I basically drilled a small hole in the bottom to see if water would drain and non did. So I then used expanding foam and emptied the bottle inside... thinking all the little holes will let the excess foam push out. it did but not enough and did bulge the floor a bit. But I was using expanding foam which was a mistake. I think the normal non expanding stuff may work better. but never tried it yet.

If I could weld aluminum id just cut out a section of the underneath take out the old insualtion stuff some new stuff in and re seal it.

Comment

Working...
          X