B23 shooting sparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B23 shooting sparks

Ok so I will start by saying I know nothing about these. it is a 70''s model and I know this from the original paperwork it came with. I plugged it in and kicked the gfci I herd the compressor start to kick on then an electrical arch. When I took the back panel off and plugged in again to an unprotected plug the spark came from the fan motor and something started to smoke. The guy I got it from said it worked fine the week before and he is one that I trust. Any help would be great I really need a draft beer now. Thanks for any help.

Since you have paperwork supply us with the brand and model. Sometimes things get bent in a move. Does the fan blade spin freely now with it not plugged in? If a fan blade hits the housing and is not allowed to spin it can produce what you describe. If you're sure it's the fan with the unit unplugged dis connect the leads running to the fan then take great care to isolate the wire terminals with electrical tape so they don't touch or ground out on the unit. Then plug it in to the gfci socket and see if it kicks the compressor on and starts to cool. Don't run it like this longer than the few minutes. Best to reply back 1st with unit info and status of the blades mobility.

Sorry Just saw the title so it's a Beverage Air 23 .

Comment

First of all, welcome to the forum...
      Chances are that if you got sparks & smoke out of the fan motor, it is burned up - dead. Do as pvs6 suggested & disconnect the fan leads to see if the compressor runs.
      Question - Did you perchance try cleaning the condenser coils by spraying water into them before this happened? If so, water may have shorted out the motor.

THE ICEMAN
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

Man you guys are quick. I disconnected the fan and compressor started to cool. Blades spin freely. It was sitting outside and we did have a lot of rain but as for cleaning I didn't get that far yet. So I am assuming this means that I need a new fan. If this is the case any suggestions on where or what kind and the difficulty of replacing. It looks like the copper lines from compressor are directly in the way. The unit is a beverage air bm-23 thanks again for the help you guys are great.

Comment

Iceman correct again. The fan is shot.
          You can get a replacement through Beverage Air

This unit being that old maybe slightly different but they're posts on this site about fan replacement on BM23's. Use the search bar up top here and search BM23 fan replace. If your modestly handy with tools installing a new fan should not be a problem.

Last edited by pvs6; 08-22-2016, 09:16 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Originally posted by Bdr View Post
            Man you guys are quick. I disconnected the fan and compressor started to cool. Blades spin freely. It was sitting outside and we did have a lot of rain but as for cleaning I didn't get that far yet. So I am assuming this means that I need a new fan. If this is the case any suggestions on where or what kind and the difficulty of replacing. It looks like the copper lines from compressor are directly in the way. The unit is a beverage air bm-23 thanks again for the help you guys are great.
            If you look at the back of the unit you will find a channel running up & down towards the right side with a couple small screws holding the channel cover in place at the bottom. In this channel run the refrigerant lines. Down by the compressor & condenser coil you will find a couple 3/8" screws that hold the chassis in place. You can then slide out the chassis & the lines being careful not to kink any lines - it's not bad. This will give you access to the fan motor. Once the motor is changed just slide things back into place, fasten it down & you're good.

THE ICEMAN
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Great. Thanks again for all the trouble shooting and advice. You guys are extremely helpful. Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X