Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water inside floor on bev air unit BB72

Hey guys,

I need some additional opinions and maybe more "ideal" ideas if any....

I noticed when I leaned inside while doing some work on it when I pressed down on the flooring I saw water come up from a few pin holes and not just a little bit of water, it would start to pool water around the holes.

Considering that much water is coming up i'd imagine that it means its FULL of water in between the floor where the insulation is, now that being said its not leaking out from underneath, so if the water just sitting on the top of the insulation or it it actually full.

Do you guys think it would be wise to drill a small hole on the underneath and drain it out as best as I can? a buddy of mine mentioned if I do drill a hole on the under side to put it at one end and tilt the fridge to let the water "run / drain" out on one side.

I went and caulked all the seams and im going to either JB weld or somehow cover the pin holes in the floor as well to prevent any further water build up in there but wondering what you guys would think / come up with?

as you can see in the pics, some of those rust spots you see on the floor are pin holes... not all but it has a 5-7 little holes.

I got a dehumidifier running inside it right now mainly to dry out the caulking faster but also help take out any moisture it could of built up, but I still definitely need a way of draining out that excess water before I run this fridge again.

The hole can't hurt, and you can just put a sheet metal screw in it to seal it back up.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Yea what I figured, really only way to do it eh.... and that water definitely needs to come out. I was thinking of using JB weld to seal it up, but a sheet metal screw wouldn't be a bad idea incase more water gets in there somehow... Not quite sure how or why I got that much build up of water over 6-7 months of usage which is a bit concerning, but I already checked and everything seems to be working as it should.

Comment

A bad door seal can lead to excessive condensation. Put a flashlight inside the unit and turn off the room lights and then inspect all the gasket sealing areas. You will get an idea of how much water is being generated now that you are sealing the box up.

Comment

yea I did the flashlight test when i first got it, it passed then but it could use newer magnetic gaskets non the less as they do show some wear.

and yea the seems / corners where getting pretty bad on it before I went and caulked it, they where always "moist" so im thinking that played a roll in the issue.

appreciate the tips / ideas

Comment

Unfortunately you will probably never get all the water out. Whatever insulation in the bottom of the unit is soaked. If it were me I would drill 4 to 6 3/8" to 1/2" holes across the bottom & leave them open. If you don't already have the unit on legs or wheels you will need to put something under the unit to provide an air gap to allow it to breath. If you have the unit installed somewhere where you are worried about the floor you will have a problem with water & possibly stains on the floor. If that doesn't work for you then take the unit out in the hot sun for a week or so (doors cracked open) to try & dry things out & then seal up the holes with silicone & some of that aluminum tape you have in the pictures. Another thing, do you know where the water was coming from? Check the evaporator pan to see if there might be pinholes there as well.

THE ICEMAN
            My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
            Strong beer is the milk of the old."
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

yea, all of it wont happen thats for sure but if I could get it somewhat dryer... id be hapy...

I drilled a small pin hole under it tonight see if any water would leak out and nothing came out, its mostly the one section and the top part of the insulation is wet / rotting from what I noticed.

I actually drilled small 1/4 ish holes where there was already pin holes in the top part... pushed out as much water as I could (not much left, that i can push out anyways)

when i push down on it though... you can see water somewhat bubble out of a few spots, 1 being the pin holes on the floor, 2 on the inside and outside of the door ledge.

I think the water accumulation is from a poor seal... maybe not a door seal, but the box itself, I had to re caulk the whole thing i'd imagine over time if the inside floor isnt fully sealed from the rest it could cause interior condensation?

pic for reference to where additional bubbles of water will start seeping out if I push in the right spot, it will also do the same on the inside side of that bar as well. I was going to take the bar off and see what I could see under it but the screws are rusted in good, not sure if I should leave it as I doubt id be able to get them threaded back in.

in the future ill try and have the fridge atleast 1" off the ground to allow some kind of breather, but I will also purchase some of those eva dry 500 units to cycle inside the fridge when its running to keep the humidity down.

dont mind the mess in there, it actually looks clean by eye but that flash really pics up everything lol

Last edited by RRL; 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

For those that may be following....

Ive had a dehumidifier thats been running facing the fridge for about a week now. I cranked it up to have it constantly run and ive drained a fair amount of water from it, No more water is being pushed up when i push down on the floor either.

Ill be throwing in some big gap filler spray foam to fill in any void or broken parts of the original insulation this weekend and seal off the holes with some JB weld, wont look pretty but hey.. should work.

I am also planning on laying down something on the floor where the kegs go to help spread out the weight and to prevent further flooring damage,

Once i got this sucker running to par, ill be working on doing a Tile Top hopefully that turns out nice.

Comment

Everything seems as dry as its going to get!

I went ahead and pushed in some big gap filler foam, I went and used WAYYYYY too much.... the floor somewhat "ballooned" after it all settled, but I am sure with time it will compact / compress with the weight of the kegs...

it looks like a mess now but I kept wiping down the spots to make sure all the small holes had the filler coming out of them, once all holes had the foam coming out I left it cure.

This all got pushed out of the hole I injected from lol.. WOOPS! I really underestimated this stuff!

Comment

Probably a good place for non-expanding foam. Lesson for the future - never use expanding foam in a door frame if you still want the door to close. It is really brutal stuff, I wouldn't count on the floor settling down.

Comment

Yea 100% agreed, Either I should of been more patient and used less expending foam (its hard to know when it has reached all the spots you wanted it too) or as you mentioned and use non expanding foam which would of definitely been the better route to go!..

Non the less a live and learn experience, the floor is "ballooned" but I'm not too worried about it as long as it keeps its seal and no damage was done.

Thankfully I didnt spray any of that stuff in doors or near where they close, all my doors still close without any issue.

I just went ahead last night and layed down some JB weld to seal all the holes in the floor and sealed any "chips" or what ever was happening or happened to the floor to prevent any further damage. I was thinking of just sealing it up with tin tape, but ended up just using JB weld as it will take the abuse of kegs getting put in and out of that spot

Ill admit, the inside sure as heck dont look pretty anymore, but I rather have it work properly with a good seal then have it look good and find my floor soaked with water again.
                      Last edited by RRL; 08-10-2016, 06:21 AM.

Comment

While it is your new baby you want everything to be prefect. Once you start using it a bit you will realize the inside doesn't matter, and you will not be bothered by the imperfections. Time for a beer.

Comment

Time for a beer is damn right! lol.... once that JB weld dries up, its getting plugged back in and kegs will be on order!

Comment

May be hard to do, but it might be best to start with one keg of something not overly expensive.

Comment

I am guessing the reason you say that is to make sure I don't continue to have a water build up issue eh?

I get the cheapest kegs I can find and truthfully LOVE the beer they brew

Im paying around 135 right now for their generic main brew and 145ish for a more "specialty" brew.... thats for their 50L kegs

Comment

Working...
                              X