Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Garage" Kegerator? Help needed before Party!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Garage" Kegerator? Help needed before Party!

Hi All,

New to the forum and the kegerator world. My post may be more related to at home/party equipment but I am throwing it out there anyway. To start off, I dont have a kegerator but rather trying to use the cold wintery months to my advantage and be my "kegerator"

So i am throwing a bday part and since i was given a majority of the pieces needed to make a draft system i thought it would be fun to have a draft beer system setup for the party. Thats where the cold garage comes into play. My plan is to leave the Keg in the garage and run ~10ft of 3/16 line into the house (near or under house door) to a little serving station that i built.

I live in northern indiana and it is very cold right now so I expect the garage temperature to be around 28-30 degrees which is lower than most serving temperatures. Beer I am serving is Coors light (which i have read is more difficult to serve)

All that being said, and based on a lot of my reading I am wondering if this is an idea that will work out. Obvioulsy I wont have temperature control but only Co2 pressure control.

What do you guys think, will this be possible? Will i have major issues with foam? Will beer freeze?

I am down to the wire here as the party is tomorrow and the keg is ordered, any help is much appreciated!
    Last edited by Cleric40; 02-11-2016, 09:51 AM.

This will be a nightmare. You need stable temps around 38. Both for the keg storage and along the entire delivery route. You will never be able to tame the foam.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Hmmm well thats not what I wanted to hear.

Is temperature the biggest concern?

What if I did the old school style of putting the keg in an ice bath/bucket? I have seen or heard of guys bringing a draft system or jockey box like this to an outdoor party or beach so I am hoping something can be made usable.

Kind of in a pinch now that I got the keg ordered and was planning for this... Any other thoughts, feedback?
      Last edited by Cleric40; 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

You need to keep constant temperature from the keg to the faucet. If your line is either warmer or colder you will have foam. You also have a tricky relationship between the applied pressure and temperature of the beer which is what keeps the CO2 in solution. This requires stable temps all around. If you have your line outside in 28 degrees it is very likely it will freeze.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Working...
        X