Question About BevAir BM23 Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About BevAir BM23 Thermostat

I have been having some temperature issues with my Beverage Air BM23 and I think they probably related to the thermostat. I used to run the unit on temperature setting 7 (did this for close to a year without issues) and would get temps between 35-40. However, the other day the temp got down to the low 20's and froze my keg. So I unplugged the unit, let everything de-ice and then relocated the thermostat sensor (it was actually previously up in the evaporator box). I also set the dial to 5. Everything was great (temps between 34-38) for about 4 days, but I wanted to set it a little cooler. So I turned the dial down very slightly. Next day I was getting temperatures close to 30. So I turned the dial back up, but I have not been able to get a consistent temperature for more than a day or so. The temperature will slowly creep down lower than I would like after about 24 hours. I think the issue is likely related to the thermostat because the condenser seems to turn on and shut off okay and I was able to get consistent temps for 4 days after messing with the thermostat (and then messed it up after messing with the thermostat again). Before replacing the thermostat I wanted to get some advise on location of the sensor.

Does this look like the correct location and should the end of the sensor be exposed like in the picture below (or should it be completely covered by the tubing? It was previously fully encased in the outer tubing, but I cut off the tubing after I kept having issues because I figured I might as well try something new before getting a new thermostat. Also, there is a lot of exceess for this capillary tubing/sensor pushed back up behind the evaporator cover. I assume this is okay because you obviously don't want to cut down shorter since the sensor is on the end, right (or does the entire length of the tubing sense the temperature?

Last edited by infantrytroop22; 09-11-2015, 09:48 AM.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Probe looks like its in the right spot. With tstat set to 5. You should be holding around 38F. Shouldn't realy need to set past 6. Unless your unit is old or having issues keeping it cold enough.
      What I got:
      Beverage Air #BM23
      with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
      -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
      -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
      -MM S/S Keg Couplers
      YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Originally posted by PointPleasantNJBeerguy View Post
        Probe looks like its in the right spot. With tstat set to 5. You should be holding around 38F. Shouldn't realy need to set past 6. Unless your unit is old or having issues keeping it cold enough.
        Thanks. Do you know whether it matters if the end of the probe is covered by that tubing or not? Last night it was holding around 38 when I set it to 5. I like it colder so I set it to 7 and it was around 35 this morning. Seems to be working okay again, but I'll probably replace the thermostat to be safe.

It always seems to do fine overnight (and not get too cold), but then it gets too cold by the end of the day. I wonder if it being in my garage in 100+ heat has anything to do with it. Although, I would think it would be too warm, not too cold if it was in a hot environment.

Comment

Plastic tube not gonna effect temps.Hot environment can effect slightly. Also make sure condenser coil down by compressor isn't dirty and clogged up with dust and dirt.
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Plastic tube not gonna effect temps.Hot environment can effect slightly. Also make sure condenser coil down by compressor isn't dirty and clogged up with dust and dirt.
            Cool, thanks. Wouldn't a hot environment make the unit hotter though? I cleaned what I could reach on the condenser coil, but couldn't reach much. Would a clogged condenser coil make the unit run hotter or colder?

Comment

hotter usually . I had brain fart, just realized that your having issues running too cold. Could be tsat acting up.
              What I got:
              Beverage Air #BM23
              -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

hotter usually . I had brain fart, just realized that your having issues running too cold. Could be tsat acting up.
                That's what I'm thinking for sure. Just seems weird it's worse when it is hotter outside. Maybe unrelated though. I just ordered a new one.

So is that tubing even really necessary or does it just serve to hold the sensor in place? Seems like it would be hard to install on the new thermostat...
                Last edited by infantrytroop22; 09-11-2015, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah the tube protects the probe and holds it. Clean the old tube. Put a little mineral oil or alike on the end of probe, make as straight as possible and guide into sleeve.
                  What I got:
                  Beverage Air #BM23
                  -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Yeah the tube protects the probe and holds it. Clean the old tube. Put a little mineral oil or alike on the end of probe, make as straight as possible and guide into sleeve.
                    Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on cleaning the tube?
                    Last edited by infantrytroop22; 09-12-2015, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X