Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old BM23 - Need advice on refurb

Hi everyone,
    I just purchased an old R12 BM23 from Craigslist for $125 and it came with a regulator and two 2lb Co2 tanks. The unit is in rough shape but runs well. The guy served me a cold beer from it when I came to pick it up. I plugged it up when I got home and it was cooling at around 35 degrees.

I want to clean it up really good, paint it, and start putting it to use, but I am am afraid of damaging something in the process and just need advise. I have very little knowledge when it comes to refrigeration and how delicate the parts are. So I have a few questions.

1. I took off the back cover on the bottom and the condenser, condenser fan, etc. is extremely filthy. What is the best way to clean these parts without damaging anything?

2. The inside is very rusty. I have seen a couple of builds online where people took apart their old BM23, removed the top, and repainted the inside with appliance paint and polished the stainless steel at the bottom. Is this a good idea? If I removed the top, would I break any seals and then have to reseal the top to the box? Is this hard to do?

3. Also, if I repainted the inside of the unit, it looks like I would have to remove the evaporator. Is there much of a risk damaging anything or causing leaks?

4. The evaporator motor still runs, but it looks like there is old fiber (?) tape around the bottom part of the motor. It is all soggy an gross. Would I be okay taking it off and just putting new electrical tape on it?

I found an old rebuild post from another user on the homebrew forums and plan to do almost exactly the same thing to the inside for reference https://www.flickr.com/photos/850340...7600351871098/

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Wrex21; 07-29-2015, 05:02 AM.

Depending how bad overall unit it . And if your not handy with refrigeration components I wouldn't mess the the refrig system.Doesn't take much to kink a copper line.
    Easiest way to clean coil down by compressor is just with an air compressor unless its greasy and grimmy. then you have to get some coil cleaner to break up crud.
    I personally wouldn't remove the top. Opening a can of worms there..Screws and foam tape are the only thing holding it down though.If its real old the evaporator housing might have pin holes in it from rust. Can be replaces alot easier that making one like the pics in that link you posted.
    Evaporator motors aren't that expensive so if bad just buy a new evap motor kit (old bracket probably wont line up)
    I dont see a problem just painting around evaporator with it in place.
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Originally posted by PointPleasantNJBeerguy View Post
      Depending how bad overall unit it . And if your not handy with refrigeration components I wouldn't mess the the refrig system.Doesn't take much to kink a copper line.
      Easiest way to clean coil down by compressor is just with an air compressor unless its greasy and grimmy. then you have to get some coil cleaner to break up crud.
      I personally wouldn't remove the top. Opening a can of worms there..Screws and foam tape are the only thing holding it down though.If its real old the evaporator housing might have pin holes in it from rust. Can be replaces alot easier that making one like the pics in that link you posted.
      Evaporator motors aren't that expensive so if bad just buy a new evap motor kit (old bracket probably wont line up)
      I dont see a problem just painting around evaporator with it in place.
      Okay thanks! That definitely makes sense. The last thing I want to do is screw the unit up. I did order a new evaporator housing. Hopefully the old fan lines up because it still works. If not I will have to order a new one. I will give the coil cleaner a try as well. I am guessing I can use the cleaner on both the evaporator coils and the condenser coils?

Thanks!

Comment

not sure about evap coil since its not coated. might not be safe on the bare aluminum and copper? Not sure about that though.Shouldn't have any build up on evaporator coil anyway.Kinda hard for it to get dusty inside the unit.
        What I got:
        Beverage Air #BM23
        with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
        -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
        -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
        -MM S/S Keg Couplers
        YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Working...
        X