WTF did I get myself into....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BKBuilds,
    Nearly all stock units have 3/16 ID, but eventually you have to change out the beer line, the right angle turn from faucet to tower down to unit has been a problem for many owners, one found by replacing foam stopped, so when you change out the right angle turn, change the beer line with 3/16.
    I had an eye on the RV fridge fans, all you need is 1, you can replace batteries using rechargeable ones, but as a emergency measure it is fine for now till you figure out how to get a fan inside.
    Airflow around unit should be fine, you may have to run a small box fan to prevent heat build up, basically heat is the enemy, if something heats up in back, it makes the insulation hot, causing unit to work harder which yes might wear things down faster but unit may not get down to a cold enough temperature for beer.
    Does the blue knob have sort of increment markings? By my estimation the gauge is a high pressure gauge, from what other owners of this POS regulator have said, instructions say to adjust slowly and if too foamy turn back. I'll try to link a YouTube video that shows a Nostalgia regulator.

KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 04-27-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I can't seem to get that nut loose at the top of the beer tower. They gave me a elcheapo wrench that fits it, but its too wide and bulky to be able to turn the nut.

I plan to put 1 RV fan in each of the two kegerators. Working on the tower I notice right now I'm getting no cool air up in it. Maybe once the fan is pushing cold air up some might make it in.

Can you recommend anything to replace the 90 bend with? and point me to the tool to get the nut off?

Comment

BKBuilds,
        You really need to read through forum, I have a newbie thread that might help.
        That's why I suggested to change line later right now get it going and when you get parts in then SLOWLY get things done.
        You won't get thing up and running perfectly in 1 day, take it slow and easy.
        The tower will not get cold, the only way tower will get cold is with tower cooler, you can make one or Ebay has a couple of good ones, again right now stop and relax and clean your lines, set the thermostat at 3/4 full and wait for the keg.
        The unit WILL NOT COME with a wrench to take off shank, you can buy a faucet wrench when you buy your beer line or get a 1 inch box wrench and cut a gap for the beer line but no tools that came with unit will work.
        Please take it slow and easy and don't jump around and purchase things Willy Nilly, post what you have in hand and what you have on order and I can confirm what is right and wrong, make a list from store of EXACTLY what you want to order and I'll help you add or subtract from it.
        KB

Comment

Right now the only things on order are:
          2x low pressure regulators with dual gauge
          2x TV refrigerator fans

I don't have anything to clean the lines with.

Comment

Regulators arrived. Discovered that the junk regulators that came with the unit also had a non standard hose size so they are too small for the new regulators.

Called up MicroMatic and their support is top notch. The lady on the phone very knowledgable not only with the products but also with their website. Pointed me right to what I needed and showed me the instructions on how to install the check valve. Which by the way she called me back because at first she told me to order a neoprene washer and she realized her mistake and looked up my account info and called me immediately back to point out her error.

So to update what is on order.

2x RV Refrigerator fans (Arriving tomorrow)
            2x CO2 gas lines (Arriving Friday)
            1x Beer line cleaner kit (Arriving Thursday)
            1x Tower nut wrench (Arriving Thursday)

Also picked up a 1/4 keg of Coors light. It is sitting in one of the kegerators. I'll probably attempt tapping in Friday night.

Comment

BKBuilds,
              Sooo, you are using the stock regulator on Friday? Again are there markings on blue knob? Is there any adjustment for PSI? If there is no way to tell how much to adjust if PSI is off, then adjustments will just be guesses. Please read forum on Nostalgia and regulators, changing is a pain, you would be better off getting a new coupler if you hook up the new regulator, MM parts will not work with your kegerator.
              Hope you ordered all the parts for the new regulator, you did order the hexes and tailpieces and clamps for the gas line? Best way to get new regulator working is to adapt the stock line to new regulator, the way is in the posts regarding the Nostalgia in forum. I remember now that adapting was solved by changing barb on regulator, search Nostalgia, barb replace, you should find it.
              KB
              Last edited by KillianBoy; 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I don't plan to use the Nostalgia regulators. If I have to replace the couplers to make the MM regulators work I'll do that, but I'll cross that bridge on Friday. The only markings on the Nostalgia regulator is the direction of on and off. But since the markings are only in 10PSI increments on the gauge there is no way to know if you are at 12PSI or 14PSI for sure.

Here is what all I ordered for the gas lines

Gas line Kit including clips x2
                tailpieces x2
                Nuts x2
                Check value x2

Comment

BKBuilds,
                  Couple of members with same type of CO2 delivery mentioned that the male connector on the coupler DID NOT fit the MM hex, so be prepared parts may not fit right and the CO2 connection has to fit right.
                  Though you will not use the stock regulator, understand the gauge measures ONLY the high pressure coming from the tank, it should not move when adjusting blue knob, the big number is PSI, smaller number is BAR, this gauge shows what the pressure is of tank, that's it.
                  Not sure if you need a new check valve (I think you mean a shut off valve with a check valve), your coupler should have a duckbill check valve (which prevents beer from flowing back into regulator).
                  Like I said please take it slow, understand MM parts may not fit the non-standard parts of your kegerator, don't assume parts are interchangeable.
                  KB
                  Last edited by KillianBoy; 04-28-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Fans arrived today. Put one in with the keg and my indoor / outdoor wireless thermometer set on top of the keg. Currently reading 37 degrees.
                    Last edited by BKBuilds; 04-29-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

BKBuilds,
                      If air temperature, fine but understand air temperature will go from <32 degrees to >42 degrees, it ALL DEPENDS on where in the compressor cycle it is, imagine a mountain and a valley next to it, the top of the mountain is where compressor kicks on, the bottom of the valley where it kicks off. The 43 or 39 or 37 might have been when compressor was off or just kicked on.
                      So do you have an immersible tip thermometer, digital preferred?
                      KB
                      Last edited by KillianBoy; 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I do... I just put this in to monitor while I'm watching the games tonight. So far it seems to have settled in at 37-39. I'll move it to the other unit in a few days.

Comment

CO2 lines arrived last night and everything installed without issue. Waiting on the beer line cleaning kit to arrive today to clean everything and I'll attempt to tap the keg at some point tonight.

Comment

When people have been telling you about changing lines they meant beer lines. There is no benefit to longer CO2 lines. Gas line is gas line and as long as it isn't leaking it doesn't need to be changed.
                            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

The CO2 lines were replaced because I needed 5/16 ID hose to match the MicroMatic regulator, not because I thought I needed longer lines. I'm not sure what the diameter of the of the stock lines is but it fit inside the fitting coming out of the MicroMatic regulator.

Comment

Sorry, missed that in the details.
                                What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Working...
                                X