Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danby DKC645BLS No Longer Cooling, temps around 45-50 F (normally was 34 F)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danby DKC645BLS No Longer Cooling, temps around 45-50 F (normally was 34 F)

I noticed today the Danby was settling around 45-50 F. Normally, The setting is around 34 F. The compressor had a slight humming to it leading me to think it's working but the Danby is NOT cooling. What is the best way to resolve this situation?

I hear it could be low Freon or a mechanical problem reading through some information. I have a Docooler thermostat hooked in and if you search for it you can probably find my earlier thread about that under my name. This is the first issue I have had with the Danby since buying it used in August.

Please help.

Feel the lines on the compressor. The discharge line should be the smaller line and warm or hot to the touch. The larger line should be the return and cold or cool to the touch. This should give you an idea if the thing is working at all before calling a tech that would be able to do a real diagnosis.

Also, is the 45 to 50 degrees something you saw on the Danby display or a real thermometer? If it was the former and not the latter, I'd get a thermometer and check before doing anything else.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks PD for your response. I have a photo.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2927

The wire that is going to the right of the compressor is warm to a touch. The wire on the left of the compressor (Small) is slightly cool, but not cold. That's all I have to respond with.

The real temperature is what I saw on the Docooler. This thermostat is new and I'm believing the problem doesn't lie there.

Any help/comments very much appreciated!

Attached Files

Comment

Those are actually the tubes the refrigerant flows through. Because you have a temperature difference, the compressor may be OK.

Is the unit cycling on and off as if it has reached the cooling set point? If so you have a control issue. If it is running continuously, then I'd wager you are low on refrigerant.

I'd still check the temperature with a thermometer. I'm not familiar with this Docooler control so I'd not trust that it is good just because it was new. The Danby control sucked when it was new too.

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

Comment

The compressor is running continously, in my understanding.

I have two digital temps registering the same temperature. Inside temperature is room temperature (roughly) - the same temperature as on the outside.

This model is from 1998 and from your information, the breakdown appears to reveal that there is low refrigerant (Freon?).

I've read it is difficult to find someone to do this work, where would you suggest my taking it and the cost?

I appreciate your advice.

Comment

As to where to take it, that depends on your location. Some parts of the country it isn't hard to find a person qualified to do this that may even come to your home. Other areas it may be cost prohibitive to even take it somewhere assuming you can find someone willing to look at it.

In my case, I have a buddy that would fix it for a pint or three of my home brew. You'll just have to google for someone in your area. For the cheap fix, if you have a tech school in the area, they may be able to hook you up for the cost of materials only.

Comment

Working...
            X