Faucet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faucet question

I purchased a new stout faucet for my 5.2 single towner danby kegerator. Already have an operational stout faucet but got a different one with a smaller spindle to accept a different tap handle.

My question is, do I need to shut off the beer gas and disconnect the coupler from the keg and bleed the lines before I change the faucet?

If not, what are the steps I need to perform to remove the faucet? I have only removed the faucet when the keg is empty for cleaning and thus I obviously shut everything down and disconnect to clean all the kines, faucet and coupler.

This keg is not empty and would like to perform minimal steps to change the faucet as so I don't loose gas or disrupt this fresh keg of guinness.

So basically what are the steps to change a kegerator faucet while my keg is brand new and still attached?

Thanks!

bywalker,
    Just switching out just faucet?
    Turn gas off at tank, turn off gas at regulator, vent gas at coupler (pull on pressure relief valve till it stops hissing, the only gas you should lose)
    Now the hard part, get a big absorbent towel and place under faucet, pull tap and pour whatever is left in beer line into cup, take off old faucet, then put new one on.
    Make sure tap is in off position, then turn both gas switches on and you should be good.
    You could also disengage lever on coupler (you don't have to take it off keg), then do hard part above and see but not sure how much beer will flow out.
    KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 01-15-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Don't make it harder than it has to be. If you just disengage the coupler and open the faucet you will be fine. The line has very little beer in it. The circumference of the line is Pi * the radius squared and multiply this by length to find the volume of the line in cubic inches. 3.14 (5/32*5/32) * 60 = 4.59 cubic inches. Then convert the cubic inches to fluid ounces. It is small. 5' lines at 5/16" diameter yields 2.5 ounces. 5' at 3/16" diameter yields less than an ounce.
      Last edited by djc; 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM.
      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

What DJC said..I untap kegs all the time to clean faucets before they kick. Just untap. leave a cup under faucet handle pulled forward for a minute or two to let excess drip off.Then unscrew faucet.
        KB you really went for the over complicated route on that one...
        What I got:
        Beverage Air #BM23
        with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
        -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
        -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
        -MM S/S Keg Couplers
        YouTube video of the goods

Comment

My list

1: Draw a beer
          2: Take a drink of beer
          3: Lift handle on keg coupler
          4: Take a drink of beer
          5: Open faucet
          6: Take a drink of beer
          7: Let the two or three drops of beer in faucet hit drip tray (that's what it is for I think)
          8: Take a drink of beer
          9: Remove old faucet
          10: Take a drink of beer
          11: Install new faucet
          12: Take a drink of beer
          13: Make sure faucet is closed
          14: Take a drink of beer
          15: Push coupler lever back down
          16: Take a drink of beer
          17: Refill your glass

Repeat step 16 several times and step 17 as needed.

I don't have a hard part.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Ok, so if I understand correctly, just unlock and lift the keg coupler and pour whatever is in there out? Then change the faucet and lock it back down? I don't need to shut off the gas or bleed it?

Comment

Yes. That should be all there is to it.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Just take the coupler off the keg and change the faucet. No need to mess with the gas.
                Colin Harrison
                Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Working...
                X