No announcement yet.

Beer lines inside of tower cooler hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer lines inside of tower cooler hose?

After 22 years of using jockey boxes I finally broke down and bought a Summit SBC490 kegerator. I have been on this forum for a long time and utilized all of the advice on modifying the kegerator. I installed a fan to circulate air and a fan to blow air into the tower. I tried it without the 2nd fan to circulate the air but the coldplate kept icing up. Now it is fine. After the mods the temperature is fine with no need for an external controller. I still need to enlarge the hole going into the tower. Would it not be better to put the beer line(s) into the tower cooling hose? I have not seen anyone who has done this or recommends it and I was wondering why. My thought is that it would keep the line(s) uniformly cool and save space going into the tower. I will be adding a 3 faucet tower and think that it would be tight with 3 beer lines and the cooling hose going up, possibly leaving no space for air to return to the kegerator. Has anyone tried this?
    Attached Files
    "If you tap it, they will come."

First thing..Peel off the blue plastic on the bottom plate.That stuff will suck to remove down the road.
    As far as your question with the blower hose, I would definitely enlarge the hole if your gonna be putting three lines though.you need good return air flow or it won't cool properly. Try blowing through a straw with your finger over the end.It won't flow.
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

I will be removing the blue film. I will be enlarging the hole to 3" to accommodate the extra lines but it will be tight, that's why I want to try and put the lines inside of the tower cooling hose. Anyone ever put the hoses in there? The only problem I could see with it is maybe freezing the lines? I keep the temperature cold.

Comment

Beer freezes at like 29F. But back to your question. Lines inside the blower hose will disturb the the flow too much.
        What I got:
        Beverage Air #BM23
        with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
        -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
        -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
        -MM S/S Keg Couplers
        YouTube video of the goods

Comment

How would it disturb the flow?

Comment

Years ago, someone posted where they put the beer lines inside the tower cooler lines. IMHO, it isn't any better or any worse than running them outside of the cooler line. The fact is, the tower is not that hard to cool and done right, the cooling of the lines comes from the circulation of air through the tower. If there is room for the air to return, it will cool.

Relax and enjoy your kegerator.
            Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
            but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

I am going to give it a try just to see how it works before I add more lines and kegs.

Comment

CoreyD,
                Couple of things, I have always felt a tower cooler working properly or not will alter the temperature of the 2nd and 3rd glass, which will mess up your attempt to balance, I would first try a fan (just take hose out of box).
                Also if you are using a muffin fan (typical 80 MM PC fan) will not compress air, you need a large up flow and return flow, once you put 3 beer lines in up flow, the air won't go anywhere, it might work with one but once you put 3, it most likely won't. I would use a blower (squirrel cage type) if you want 3 beer lines, muffin fan won't cut it.
                KB

Comment

I will be changing to the blower fan. I had computer fans laying around so I started with them. I will be enlarging the hole to the tower to 3" and increasing the size of the blower hose.

Comment

Corey, I know this is over a year old, but just wanted to say that lines inside the blower hose worked for me. Difference with my setup though is that the blower hose if 1-1/2" flexible sump-pump hose (kind of corrugated-looking) and so larger ID than what it appears you have. My tower is 3" PVC pipe, so plenty of room for the hose, some foam-pad ~5/8" insulation and room for the cool air to return back to the keg space.

Comment

Working...
                    X