Trouble shooting and decisions on a Bevair DD58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble shooting and decisions on a Bevair DD58

Bought a 10 year old Bevair DD58 from a pizza restaurant closing sale a couple years ago and have had issues with it all along. First issue I had was low refrigerant. There were service schrader valves already installed so someone had been into the system previously. This worked well for 6 months until I noticed no dwell on the compressor and warming cooling box. Had service tech out again (for another $400). He put new stouter valves on and recharged the system again. Worked good for 6 more months. Now I noticed the no dwell and looked at the evaporator. It ices up on the left side and the first 3 inches of the Capillary tube.

Unit other than the refridge components are clean and in good shape. My fear is a blocked capillary tube and contaminated compressor oil from overheating. My concern is now I'm getting to the price break for this loud unit that I want to love but it's not giving it back. Any encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Micmac

I presume in using the term "dwell" you mean the compressor runs continuously? If so, given all else you have mentioned I would say you do indeed have a low refrigerant condition which means there is a slow leak. More than likely the leak would be in the evaporator area. If the capillary tube were restricted it would most likely clog up at or near the filter/drier. The options are to keep refilling the system or find a competent service company that will repair the system once & for all.

​THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Hi Iceman,

Yes I mean the compressor runs continuously rather than cycles. Thanks for the reply and the knowledge. I will use a different company for the repair this time. The person that serviced it both times was supposedly a bevair approved tech. Long list of reasons I wouldn't use him again. Makes me feel better that it sounds like a potential leak than a blockage.

In my quest for knowledge. Why does the capillary tube freeze up where it connects to the evaporator and back about 3 inches from there. Also the evaporator starts freezing up in a small section on the left side a few inches in from where the capillary connects to the evaporator.

Thanks Again

Micmac

Comment

When the system is running as designed, meaning full of refrigerant & no leaks, the evaporator is full of liquid refrigerant. As the air flows through the coil the refrigerant will start to pick up the heat from the air & boil off, or evaporate, into a gas. When the system gets low on refrigerant it no longer fills the coil so the last place there is any liquid is right where the cap tube is welded to the coil. As it "flashes" off it will start to ice over at that point because there not enough refrigerant left to provide proper cooling & that is why the compressor runs & runs. Hope that makes sense.

​THE ICEMAN
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Working...
          X