Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert Danby kegerator for through-wall operation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Danby kegerator for through-wall operation?

Hi folks, first post here. I'm finishing my basement and plan to install a keg fridge in my mechanical room which conveniently shares a wall with my bar. My plan is to run a line from the fridge to a wall-mounted tap on the other side of the wall. The total distance of the exposed line should be no more than 2-3 feet. I've read alot about cooling the line, but my question is different.

Can I, or should I, use a Danby kegerator as my fridge but remove the tap and have the beer line exit through the hole in the top? Here are the reasons I like the idea of the Danby:
    1. It'll hold a half-barrel (I plan on pouring Shiner Bock which I can only get in half-barrels)
    2. It already has a hole in the top for the tap, so I don't need to drill a new hole and risk hitting a coolant line
    3. There are quite a few Danby kegerators available on the used market that include the coupler, CO2 tank, and lines

I guess my other option is to just buy a fridge and a conversion kit. Thoughts? Alternative ideas? I'm looking to keep this simple, and my budget is $500 max.

pg_rider,
    At that budget line, I'd go DIY refrigerator. Find a curb alert refrigerator on CL, buy parts ala carte and not kit, you get what you want and you don't really save with the kit, it's just convenient. By my numbers, gear will be $330, air cooling system about $75 and refrigerator from $0 to $100.
    If you go used Danby, you don't know how unit was abused, coupler and tank are basically the only things you can re-use, you still have to get a faucet and shank ($50), still got to get new beer line and fittings ($15) and you might not be able to generate enough cold to keep the beer line and unit cold enough for the beer, way too many variables for me.
    KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      pg_rider,
      At that budget line, I'd go DIY refrigerator. Find a curb alert refrigerator on CL, buy parts ala carte and not kit, you get what you want and you don't really save with the kit, it's just convenient. By my numbers, gear will be $330, air cooling system about $75 and refrigerator from $0 to $100.
      If you go used Danby, you don't know how unit was abused, coupler and tank are basically the only things you can re-use, you still have to get a faucet and shank ($50), still got to get new beer line and fittings ($15) and you might not be able to generate enough cold to keep the beer line and unit cold enough for the beer, way too many variables for me.
      KB
      Thanks for the reply KB! Since I posted this my thinking has gone towards exactly what you said -- fridge conversion. I want something reliable like a true fridge, plus having a freezer compartment would be nice for mugs and ice. Thanks again!

Comment

Don't put your mugs in a freezer.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Working...
        X