Jockey Box coils do'nt line up with shanks/taps...wth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jockey Box coils do'nt line up with shanks/taps...wth

So as the title says, I bought an older jockey box and removed the cold plate. Ordered two coils and when I went to attach the coil to the shanks yesterday they wouldn't line up correctly. I tried to bend the ss to fit but it started to kink so I stopped. I never even thought about the fact that the ss may not match up. I also didn't realize how hard it is to bend. So now I'm considering using vinyl tube as a jumper to connect everything. The only problem is that 3/16 ID tubing is the same OD as the SS tube, so how to connect it? I could use a tube with a larger OD so it could fit around the ss tube, but then my line would be larger right before it goes to the tap. I'm thinking that would be bad. I'm going camping next week so I'm on a limited time table.

I have spent so much money between this project, the R2D2 project and the kegs of beer and cider that I made, I really don't want to spend any more money lol ANy ideas would be appreciated. I would hate to think I have to re-drill the shank/taps holes. Thanks

How far off is it ? are we talking a matter of feet or inches ? If inches then use a small section of 1\4 vinyl, your going to have to run at a higher pressure anyway so a little bit of 1/4 will not effect the pour.
    Colin Harrison
    Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

mdr411
      You can bend the stainless tubing using a tube bender. I use a spring tubing bender, it is exactly what it sounds like. They come in a kit of 4 sizes and can be purchased from Lowes or Home Depot in their plumbing dept.

Good luck and cheers!

Dennis Cullender
      The Draft Doctor

Comment

I bought the tube benders and they do work. It seems now that in order to get the coils to line up centered on the shanks I will have to bend the tubing at too much of an angle, possibly 45 degrees. It's because the coil ends are on the side of the coil and the shank holes are in the center of the cooler. It's tough to get them to line up straight even with the tube bender, unless I bend the tube right before the shank. Another question that may sound silly: Is the tubing supposed to be inserted INTO the shank? My tubing is 3/8 OD and the shank bore diameter appears to be 1/4". I tried to connect the two yesterday but after putting everything together it wasn't tight and the tubing could be pulled out if I tried, like it didn't take much effort.

I'm beginning to think I should have just paid for a jockey box that was done already, but I always have to do everything on my own lol look where it gets me! Thanks

Comment

Should I flare the end up the tube?

Comment

No don't flare.Tubing is inserted into shank.usually there is a rubber gland/grommet that tightens the tubing into the shank.

3/8" ID Grommet
            What I got:
            Beverage Air #BM23
            with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
            -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
            -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
            -MM S/S Keg Couplers
            YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Yeah I did use one of those. I wonder if it wasn't tight because the tube wasn't lined up perfectly straight and was going in at a slight angle.

Comment

could be but you have to make sure the nut is tight enough to expand the rubber grommet.If the grommets are old they could be hardened up and no longer elastic enough to expand.
                What I got:
                Beverage Air #BM23
                with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
                -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
                -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
                -MM S/S Keg Couplers
                YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Working...
                X