Kegging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegging

This is a repost of a thread from the beer side forum topic.

I've heard rumors that cornys cannot be used to keg wine, because the internal parts are made of lower grade stainless than the keg itself. Can anyone comment on this?

BTW, this rumor was attributed to Micromatic.

Although cornys may consist of stainless, is it a 303 grade? 303 has a sulfur infused property designed for ease of machining. This 303 grade is unacceptable for wine contact as the wine's acidic nature will acquire an odor from the sulfur thus an off taste.

Additionally, the corny's fittings required for filling / dispensing must be of a 304 stainless grade or better. If these fittings due not utilize any metal contact, other materials such as plastic must be wine friendly.

Best practice would be to consult with the manufacturers and inquire on what grade stainless or materials are utilized. Preferably a 304 or higher grade is recommended for wine contact.
    Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
      Although cornys may consist of stainless, is it a 303 grade? 303 has a sulfur infused property designed for ease of machining. This 303 grade is unacceptable for wine contact as the wine's acidic nature will acquire an odor from the sulfur thus an off taste.

Additionally, the corny's fittings required for filling / dispensing must be of a 304 stainless grade or better. If these fittings due not utilize any metal contact, other materials such as plastic must be wine friendly.

Best practice would be to consult with the manufacturers and inquire on what grade stainless or materials are utilized. Preferably a 304 or higher grade is recommended for wine contact.
      Thanks, Scott. I already knew this and did ascertain that the keg itself is 304 SS. I cannot find any information about the fittings. I think the only remaining manufacturers are in China and I don't know how to contact them.

I have read several articles about using corneys to keg wine, including one in WineMaker magazine. I think they may be OK to use, but I would like to be certain.

Comment

I apologize for getting back so late with this reply. The only sure way of determining if the corny is acceptable would be to test it with the wine. If you pick up an off taste, you will have your answer. Also, reach out to the Winemaker magazine to determine if they have any resources available for researching the type stainless utilized in these style kegs.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Putting science aside, I have kegged homebrew red wine on multiple occasions. Some of it has sat in keg for years... never noticed anything wierd.

Comment

Working...
          X