Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Harp keg popping, allllll FOAM

Hello all-
    I manage an Irish pub here in VA, we have 12 taps here, a separate beer walk-in that stays at about 37 degrees. Glycol lines go under our patio, prob about 20-25 feet. We always have Guinness, Harp and Smithwick's and since I have been involved in this restaurant ( about 5 years ago ) the Harp has been a bit foamy, i.e. bartenders pouring 2 pints to get 1 pint. Recently it has been spitting all foam. It will start as a pop of foam, go clear for about 1-2 seconds and get a big air pop and then foam the rest of the pour. We have had our distributor out here a few times and he has changed out the gas line, the beer line and the coupler on the keg. It is set at about 16psi, as I said before temp is 37 in the cooler and about 41-42 in the glass running regular cO2. Any ideas? The distributor has gotten a little sh**y with us about it because they have been out here so much..

Let's call the Harp line, line A and another random line beerline B.

Have you attempted to move Harp to beerline B? What were the results?

How about the beer that was using beerline B - did you run it on line A, how about those results?

I am not a commercial user, but it sounds like your harp is getting too warm in the line causing breakout. Of the other 12 beers that are pouring appropriately, what temperature are they when they fill the glass?

Comment

Please call me. I can help. The Draft Doctor is located in Richmond, VA and we specialize in draft beer installations and repairs. Thanks!
      Dennis Cullender
      804-986-6588
      dcullender@thedraftdoctor.com

Comment

Is it the same keg of Harp that is causing all of these issues ?
        Whats the temp of all beers on the system?
        Are you using beer pumps to propel the beer, mixed gas or straight Co2?
        Colin Harrison
        Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

It is just this line that is giving us problems. It looks like the pressure regulator might be the problem. The keg walk-in is always kept at about 37 degrees, the lines run about 25 feet under a brick patio and are chilled with glycol. The harp is on straight Co2. We have it set on 17psi right no, seems to working ok. It looks like the regulator was allowing the psi to change very slowly, which would mess everything up. It looked like we were getting air pockets in the beer line which the coupler on the keg is supposed to prevent right? Think we should change the coupler or "keg valve" as well? There shouldnt be any air in the beer line correct?

Comment

If the regulator is creeping up then that could lead to the foam issue that your are describing. I would replace that regulator.
            Straight co2 on that long of a run may also be causing the issue, I would reccomend going to a mixed gas system, you coul be overcarbing the kegs which is causing the foam issue.
            Are all of the brands on straight co2?
            Colin Harrison
            Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

I'm here in Richmond, VA. Would like to help, just give me a call.
              804-986-6588

Comment

The harp is on straight Co2, it was the regulator, I think. We have been having some other foam issues on other taps. I am at 37 degrees in the cooler and about 42 in the glass, is that too much of a temp loss? Also are you saying that if we ran everything mixed the beers would behave better because of the long run from kegs to taps?

Comment

BlarneyStoneVA,
                  We kinda had a discussion regarding "beer gas", long run and elevation in your "Smithwick's" post (couple of threads down on the Commercial Pressure section).
                  Honestly just give Dennis (DCullender) a call, you can explain your situation to him in detail and he can help you. You shouldn't have that kind of difference in a glycol system, Dennis can help, maybe he can find a better Guinness distributor or light a fire under the one you have.
                  KB

Comment

When was the last time the glycol unit was serviced? Was the glycol in the system changed at that time?
                    Colin Harrison
                    Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Hi guys,

So, did this issue get resolved? It seems to me that Fobbing/foaming issues are a constant threat to our trade, any engineers willing to give the top 5 reasons based on their call outs to Pubs/restaurants.

Comment

Top 5 FOBBING/FOAMING ISSUES:

1. Gas pressure
                        2. Beer temp
                        3. Cooler temp
                        4. Bad keg O ring
                        5. Bad coupler bottom seal

Comment

Working...
                        X