Cobra head frozen tap problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra head frozen tap problems

It's been 2 months 1 new tap head and a new glycol machine and Still havein trouble with these taps. I have 12 lines and two glycol machines directly under the bar. Everything pours fine until we turn the ice heads on. Within an hour they start to freeze and the beer pours out as foam. The Stella, goose head and yuingling seem to be the issues but others have trouble too. . When I unplug the glycol machines, they pour fine again. They are currently set at 20.8 degrees each. The walk in box is at 40 and the beer (with the towers off) pours at 40 once we put them on its drops the beer temp anywhere from 2 to 6 degrees(depending on where they are in the line.) the glycol on both machines is set at 20.8 degrees right now anything higher then that and they don't seem to freeze up at all. Gonna try and turn the beer off and drop the glycol down over night to 17 degrees so they freeze. Then once there frozen we will raise the temp up and then turn the beer on. What temp should the heads stay frozen at? Keep in mind we have one machine running 8 taps and 1 machine running 4. All within 5 feet of each other. There are no heat vents or lights near the towers. Please help, this system has never worked correctly since we installed it

Originally posted by Joebroadway View Post
    It's been 2 months 1 new tap head and a new glycol machine and Still havein trouble with these taps. I have 12 lines and two glycol machines directly under the bar. Everything pours fine until we turn the ice heads on. Within an hour they start to freeze and the beer pours out as foam. The Stella, goose head and yuingling seem to be the issues but others have trouble too. . When I unplug the glycol machines, they pour fine again. They are currently set at 20.8 degrees each. The walk in box is at 40 and the beer (with the towers off) pours at 40 once we put them on its drops the beer temp anywhere from 2 to 6 degrees(depending on where they are in the line.) the glycol on both machines is set at 20.8 degrees right now anything higher then that and they don't seem to freeze up at all. Gonna try and turn the beer off and drop the glycol down over night to 17 degrees so they freeze. Then once there frozen we will raise the temp up and then turn the beer on. What temp should the heads stay frozen at? Keep in mind we have one machine running 8 taps and 1 machine running 4. All within 5 feet of each other. There are no heat vents or lights near the towers. Please help, this system has never worked correctly since we installed it
    Also wanna note my run is about 15 ft from the walkin box and the pressure on the beer is set at around 28psi

Comment

Joebroadway,
      There's a bunch of pros out there who can help, while we wait for them, can you list make /model of the flash chillers and faucets and why do you have the PSI set that high?, are you running beer gas for everything?
      KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
        Joebroadway,
        There's a bunch of pros out there who can help, while we wait for them, can you list make /model of the flash chillers and faucets and why do you have the PSI set that high?, are you running beer gas for everything?
        KB
        Can you also include the diameter of your trunk line? Are you using the flash chillers to chill the beer or is the beer on a seperate glycol system ?
        Colin Harrison
        Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Beer begins to freeze around 26 degrees, so 20 is gonna freeze up quick. Set the temp to 26 and I believe your towers will ice up and beers pour.

Where are you?

Comment

This type of system should be set up with 1 glycol cooler for the beer lines and the other glycol cooler for the ice towers.

Comment

Were you able to get this dialed? How is your loop run? If each tower has it's own chiller, and is the only thing on it, you might be too cold and not have enough heat in your loop to make this work. The correct way to run these is to feed the glycol to the icing towers first in the run and then do your loop to your WI, you 'should' be able to get ice and not freeze your beer this way. Depends on run length, ambient temps, etc... You might also consider using a single chiller to ice the towers, and the other for your loop, as mentioned by TAPMAN. What is your bath size? Also, answering the other prior questions would help as well.

Comment

Working...
              X