Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a dilemna and could use some ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a dilemna and could use some ideas.

I know we have all had the occasional problem that defies all that we were taught or learned through experience. I have a doozie that I could use some ideas or suggestions on how to fix.

I have an account that started with a 6 faucet(DS-256-PSSKR) remote system. A little more than a year later, another 6 faucet tower installed. Now this is not even a bar, it is a pizza shop that is selling craft beers with meals and growlers to go. They are doing quite well with this.

Now to the problem. a few months into the second tower, we started having a foam issue on the new tower occasionally. All of the beers on the new tower ran fine except for the Yuengling Lager. I was called in to check it out. Did a few things to make it work, (new coupler one time, tweak pressure another time, etc.) Every time I would do something, it would be okay for a while. Then it would act up again. One time the keg storage was 33 deg., so I suspected over carbonation. Changed the temp to 38 an all was well again . At least for a little while.
    I have been working on tap systems for a long time (29 years) and there is not too much that I haven't seen over the years, but this one has me stumped, baffled and frustrated.

Details:
    Cooler temp 38, Glycol temp 30. 4301-ep power pack, (2) 30' 6 product 5/16 trunk lines. (2) ds-256-psskr towers. McDantim 60/40 blender. High volume CO2 and Nitro regulators. Separate secondaries for each keg set at 20.
    10' from floor to faucet. 17+/- lbs built in restriction( depending on whose restriction values that you use), 2 lbs push pressure. I tried turning the pressure down to 16 lbs and up to 22 lbs. with no change in foaminess.

Now the frustrating part.
    Yuengling Lager once again is foamy, I do all the standard troubleshooting. Nothing is coming up wrong.
    I swap Miller Lite and Lager, Lite is fine through the Lager tap (coupler all the way through to the faucet). Lager is crappy through the Lite tap. I disconnect Lager and connect Coors Light to that tap and it runs perfect. I reconnect Lager and it is crappy. Logic says bad Lager keg. Wrong. I pour the lager keg in the walk in and it runs perfectly.
    Next I swap The Lager with Blue Moon from the original tower and Lager runs like a top, clear as a bell. Blue Moon now runs like crap on the new tower. I now swap Lite with the Blue Moon and Lite is fine out of the other faucet, and Blue Moon is crappy still. I even went as far as switching the direction that that glycol flows. I know that the farthest tower should be first and then the closer one. Both are 30' away,(same walk in) with the towers right next to each other. It shouldn't matter but thought I would give it a shot.

Anyone have any ideas on what else to check,or something that missed, before I pull out what is left of my hair.

My fried brain thanks you,

Tapman
    Last edited by TAPMAN; 08-08-2012, 05:51 PM.

Is this one of the towers with the original christmas tree? This is the exact problem I suffered with on the towers we hooked up without a minimum of 3" restriction line (3/16"). Once we added the 3" restriction line, troubles disappeared.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by " Christmas Tree ". And did you mean 3 inches?
      Last edited by TAPMAN; 08-09-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Is it just that one line on the new tower?
        Colin Harrison
        Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

No, it is any where that I put Yuengling or Blue Moon on that tower. everything else is fine. Yuengling and Blue Moon are fine on the other tower.

Comment

Hmmmm..... was thinking that ya had a colasped line on that tower but I guess not.
            Colin Harrison
            Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

The christmas tree is the barbed end of the s/s beer lines coming out of the tower. The old style, about 2.5 inches long and stepped for different size lines. These towers require at least 3 inches of restriction between the christmas tree and the trunklline to operate correctly.

Comment

That is what I thought that you meant when you said christmas trees. I understand what you are saying. Was that a problem for some of these towers and not others? The tower that I don't have a problem with is actually a year older.
                Last edited by TAPMAN; 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

What length of 3\16 jumper lines are you using?
                  Colin Harrison
                  Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

I am not using any 3/16 at this point. I thought it should have enough built in restriction that I shouldn't have needed to add any.

Comment

Whats your elevation? Im at sea level here, but I have built systems in the Tahoe area also (7-8000 ft). With the Blue Moon now being at 2.7 v.v this could be part of your issue. Not sure what the v.v is on the Yuengling but adding some 3/16 chokers might help.
                      Colin Harrison
                      Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Yuengling is 2.6.
                        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Tapman,
                          Add about 3 inches of 3/16 id restriction line between the tower and the trunk line. Your situation is exactly like the one I had here in Richmond. The problem stems from the gap between the inside wall of the trunk line and the stepped design of the "christmas tree" barb on the tower. Sometimes you may be able to hear a "gurggle" or whistle type noise when pouring a beer. Weird thing is that it doesn't happen on all lines all the time. Try it, it has solved my issues with this style tower barb. Good Luck.

Comment

DCullender,
                            I sent you a PM about this.Thanks for your help. Already did the fix and it worked great. What really irks me is the fact that they knew it was a problem, had a fix for it and didn't inform any one about it. i have too many un-billable hours in trying to figure this out, not to mention all the beer that my customer lost.

Comment

Working...
                            X