couple problems with marvel unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple problems with marvel unit

First would like to say great place to learn and see some DIY fixes.

I just hooked up my first home kegerator today after letting my two sixels of Sam Adams rest for a couple of days.

I am planning on hooking this up under my bar with the tower directly above the unit. I have bar tended in the past and have a little knowledge about kegs but not too much. I am thinking that my coupler is either bad or I'm just a wuss because it is collecting a small amount of beer in the mouth of the keg. I have never used a coupler like the one that came with the kegerator that I bought from B ******* and am not sure if I'm just not getting it all the way on or if it is actually bad. I have two kegs and I cant get either of them to click when I tighten the coupler. Do these types of couplers click when they are completely turned into locking position? I would like to get a low profile coupler way the beer line isnt turned so close to the top of the unit. Are there any that are just better than others?

The second problem is really bad head. I've read and searched on here about the lines and PSI settings. I need to go get a digital thermometer. PSI is at 13 and the beer is very very cold but need to measure temp. Should I shorten the line to the minimum length I feel comfortable with? The unit doesnt have a fan so am sure I need to do a tower fan mod but I need to figure out a way to actually get it setup under the counter first. Once I get the kegerator under the counter I will not have any room to really do much but will try to get some sealant around either pvc or other material once I figure out what is best. I'm wanting to get the settings correct before move it under there way will be able to trouble shoot a little better. Are there any "go to pics" for first time under counter installers? I had no idea that these things didnt come with a kit to make a perfect seal. I was shocked when I didnt have any instructions on how to install it under the counter. I now understand how pipe can really make it very easy to install but at first I just kept looking at the tower and scratching my head.

I'm still stumped about all the foam though. I know that the line could cause it if it isnt cold enough but wouldnt the second pour be right if that was the problem? Could it also need to sit after being hooked up to the co2 for a day or so? I've never had to let a 1/2 barrel sit that long while bar tending.

alford78,
    Welcome to forum, in next post can you post model of unit you have, how long of a beer line you have and pictures of the coupler you have. You can post in the right the section of forum.
    If you have standard length of beer line (usually 5 feet), don't cut. Some units cannot be put undercounter, but from what I've seen about Marvel, most can be but if it's not meant to be undercounter then it's not a good idea to do it. Pictures of coupler might help ID what to do, most just tighten full clockwise till it stops then your good, then move lever to on position (up off, down on), if low profile, just turn till it stops.
    Most of the questions you have about counter mount can be answered in the resource tab under beer questions. Questions about foam can answered throughout forum, look under foam and balance. You need to balance,get carbonation of beer (v/v), the actual temperature of the beer, then you can set the PSI.
    If it were me I'd just find a way to put a fan inside, once that's done then you can figure out your tower cooler, air circulation is more important than 1st beer foam, fan will guarantee that, a quickly put together tower cooler may not.
    KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      alford78,
      Welcome to forum, in next post can you post model of unit you have, how long of a beer line you have and pictures of the coupler you have. You can post in the right the section of forum.

The coupler is this one Sorry thought trouble shooting was where I needed to post.

If you have standard length of beer line (usually 5 feet), don't cut. Some units cannot be put undercounter, but from what I've seen about Marvel, most can be but if it's not meant to be undercounter then it's not a good idea to do it. Pictures of coupler might help ID what to do, most just tighten full clockwise till it stops then your good, then move lever to on position (up off, down on), if low profile, just turn till it stops.

Model is Marvel 61HK under counter/stand alone unit. The line is aprox 4.5'. Yes, I'm just putting it on there like you described but when its to the stop position there isnt a click and a very tiny amount of beer forms between the coupler and mouth of the keg. Its a very small amount, I would guess over a 24 hour period maybe 1-2 ounces that build up and run down to the base of the keg.

Most of the questions you have about counter mount can be answered in the resource tab under beer questions. Questions about foam can answered throughout forum, look under foam and balance. You need to balance,get carbonation of beer (v/v), the actual temperature of the beer, then you can set the PSI.
      If it were me I'd just find a way to put a fan inside, once that's done then you can figure out your tower cooler, air circulation is more important than 1st beer foam, fan will guarantee that, a quickly put together tower cooler may not.
      KB
      Thanks. The beer is a lot better with the PSI at 11 but still a little foam from what appears to be the first couple inches of line in the tower. The actual faucet is so cold that it has frost on it so I'm assuming that is pretty good for no mods.

Edit

OH, I see that I'm in the pub, bar, etc... (commercial). Sorry. Mods please delete and I'll start a new one in correct place.
      Last edited by alford78; 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X