Serving Draft Beer at different Temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving Draft Beer at different Temperatures

I wanted to know if anyone has information or knowledge on using different temperature “zones” on draft lines. For example The Churchkey in DC serves its draft at three different temperatures 42, 48 & 52 Degrees. It is a long draw system. I assume this is done with either three different glycol pumps set at different temps and maybe in combination with three different refrigerators. Not exactly sure. I have also noticed this at a few other specialty beer places in California so I am curious if anyone has any knowledge or experience in such a system?

These systems consist of three storage coolers controlled at three different temperatures with three glycol power packs maintaining the different temperatures remotely to the respective towers / faucets.

Most existing retail systems already in place are set up to dispense 38F products. A practice is to acquire and utilize a one / two / three keg kegbox (kegerator) and balance with CO2 based on the beers' carbonation level and temperature. This would be based on the number of flavors and keg sizes.

With a new design / install, the best practice would be to incorporate the system that the Churchkey utilizes. Cost can be high with any of these methods with the amount of refrigeration required.
    Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

There has to be a way of maintaining the lowest temp of 52 degrees in one cooler and flash chilling to the desired temp at the faucet. If not someone should invent it.
      No CRAP! on tap

Comment

It already does and is called a "flash chiller". Three issues though. One, you would have to keep all beer at 52F. The warmer the storage environment, the faster the beer's freshness will diminish. Second, forget about dispensing pitchers as most flash chillers are incapable of overcoming high volume situations. Third, if you designed a flash chiller with enough capacity to overcome # 2, there probably would be a considerable amount of beer between the keg and faucet. Very wasteful when system requires cleaning (24 times / year).

Ever wonder why kegerators are the desired method of dispensing? Usually no more than an ounce or two between the keg and faucet. Not applicable in all situations though since there is minimal room for backup kegs. keg changes could be cumbersome with a crowded bar. Thus, remote systems.
        Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 12-29-2011, 08:19 PM.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Pitchers generally aren't sold at places like Churchkey. They aren't sold at Churchkey.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
          X