Great Lakes Oktoberfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Lakes Oktoberfest

I know there are several people with Great Lakes Oktoberfest on tap right now. I have had zero luck getting a hold of the brewery to get the CO2 volume. What kind of temperature and pressure are you pouring yours at? I am getting a lot of foam. According to the liquid Thermometer I keep in the kegerator its right at 38 degrees and even at 10 psi I am still seeing the issue. I did notice tonight that there is a bubble in the line just above the coupler and I am sure that has something to do with my problems as well. On the other hand my Sierra Nevada Tumbler is pouring great and its very tasty as well.

Most likely your psi is set too low. You need to adjust the PSI up until you see no bubble. However, between adjustments you need to wait at least 24-48hrs for the keg to acclimate. Depending on several variables including if you are at / above sea level and the liquid temp of your second pour of beer would help us to help you set it properly. Also without knowing the v/v of co2 from the brewery this makes it tricky as well. Search for the flashlight test which will essentially have you shine the flash light at the beer line right above the coupler looking for those bubbles you mentioned. You would then adjust accordingly as I previously mentioned giving time for the keg to acclimate to new psi. I would venture to guess you should probably be around 12-13 psi. I would turn it up to 12 and give it a few days then look to see if you have any bubbles in the line, check your pour temp, and see if this solves the issue.

Good luck and cheers.

Comment

I was at about 12 psi and I was getting the same foam so I dropped down but maybe something like 14-15 psi would be correct. The more kegs I go through the more respect I have for bars that serve great pours time after time.

Comment

Yeah, good luck getting that info out of Great Lakes..

That said, I ran mine 37-38 deg and 12 psi and it poured well. I have a danby with all stockpieces except a tower cooler and I'm at about 800' above sea level. Great beer.. Too bad their customer service leaves a terrible taste.. Good luck!

Rich

Comment

I've found that some breweries just don't want to give out that information. Some that don't are helpful though. I have Sierra Nevada the specs on my set up and they told me what psi to set it at and it was pretty much spot on. Too bad GLBC can do the same.

Comment

I am just wondering if carb levels are not as exact as people think. With certain beers I could definitely tell that there are variances in the carb levels from batch to batch. When I first starting pouring beer at the house after reading these forums I was anal about trying to hit 2.57 instead of 2.6 and adjusting the regulator for each and every beer. The beer temp changes slightly while the volume in the keg decreases so you can drive yourself nuts adjusting the reg. Now I just leave it alone and maintain about 2.5-2.7 for most ales. You have to balance your system for the temp of your beer so it's crucial to know what it is. If you like your beer warmer your pressure is going to have to be higher if your pressure is higher your lines need to be longer to slow the pour. Once you get all that figure out set it and forget it.
            No CRAP! on tap

Comment

Call the brewery and ask to speak to a brewer if you are having a hard time getting the carbonation level of a beer. You'd be surprised how easy it is to talk to a brewer at many breweries. I've called quite a few and said "Can I talk to one of the brewers?" and was transferred right to them and was speaking to a brewer in 10 seconds. Often the person getting a customer service e-mail or the person answering the phone initially has no clue what you're talking about and they think you might be trying to ascertain proprietary information about their beers. If you can get to a brewer, they know telling you the carbonation level is important to serving their beer properly and is not something anyone could use to 'steal the recipe'. Just about any brewer wants you to enjoy the product the way they intend you to and will likely be happy to assist you in doing so.

Also, I notice you talk about the temperature of a a liquid thermometer being 38... you still need to take the temperature of the beer in the glass. (2nd immediate pour). The beer temp can and will vary from a thermometer placed in the cabinet due to various reasons.
              Last edited by cubby_swans; 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I think I found part of my problem. I have a Premium series regulator on that keg and I am having a hard time getting a conistant pressure. A couple of days ago I dialed the pressure back a few PSI and when I check on it last night it was higher than where I started. On the the other hand the economy series regulator on the Sierra Nevada Tumbler works like a charm and the beer pours beautifully.

Comment

OK so I checked the temperature of the second pour and it looks like I am only getting 39 degrees and I can't get it any colder. So I am coming up with a (v/v) of 2.61. I think part of my problem is that I am seeing a 10 degree difference between the top and bottom of the kegerator. This draft beer thing is way more complicated than I ever thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by cstreu1026 View Post
                    OK so I checked the temperature of the second pour and it looks like I am only getting 39 degrees and I can't get it any colder. So I am coming up with a (v/v) of 2.61. I think part of my problem is that I am seeing a 10 degree difference between the top and bottom of the kegerator. This draft beer thing is way more complicated than I ever thought it would be.
                    If you have a kegerator with a cold plate you will see a variation from different locations. Put a small computer fan in to circulate the air and I would bet you will be able to get it a bit cooler and more consistent temp.
                    On Tap: Corny of a Hombrewed American Pale Ale, Corny of Homebrewed Cherry Wheat and Remain of a Miller Lite half tranfered into a Corny! Now an official Homebrewer.

Dead: (7) 1/2's of Miller Lite, (1) 1/2 of Blue Moon (6) 1/6's of Blue Moon, (4) 1/6's of Shocktop (2) 1/6's of Landshark Lager (1) 1/4 Yuengling, (1) 1/6 Victory Summer Love (1) 1/6 of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (1) 1/6 Shipyard Prelude.

Comment

Working...
                    X