Cleaning Lines vs. Replacing Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Lines vs. Replacing Lines

I have one kegerator with one tap. There aren't many lines, but I'd like to clean. I went to my local keg shop and asked for cleaning solution, he recommended just replacing the line and skip the cleaning process.

What do you guys think?

Is cleaning all the hard/expensive?
    Clean Line
    75.00%
    Replace Line
    25.00%

I voted for cleaning. Cleaning is not that hard or expensive, but it is very important. A cleaning kit is available on this site at the Beer Parts Store. That being said, depending on how old your system is and how bad the line is, you may want to replace it this one time. Get yourself a kit and stay on top of it. It is easier to keep it clean than it is to make it clean. Don't forget to clean the faucet and keg coupler also. Your taste buds will thank you.

Comment

I really don't see the need for this to be a poll. You should clean your lines in between each keg, or maybe mid keg depending on how slow you go through them. Changing the lines between each keg would be ridiculous.
      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

I'm not talkin about changing the line out between every keg, more like 5 or 6 kegs. I normally get the same keg over and over (cheap Rolling Rock). Every so often we'll invest and get something nice like Labatt or Bud Light (yeah, "nice"). And for my crowd (Colllege kids) taste isn't a HUGE factor, they just want it to come out with no foam and be cold haha.
        However, Tapman, you've brought up something that I somehow over looked, the faucet. I can't be replacing the faucet everytime I want to clean it. I think I'm going to have to go the cleaning route, which is what I figured I'd be doing going into this, but I wanted to be sure.

Comment

You need to clean the system regardless of whether or not you are serving the same beer. How long have you been using this set up without cleaning? If you have rear closing faucets I'm going to bet you've got all kinds of crud growing in the mechanism. Hell even with forward sealing you've probably got stuff in there. You need to take the faucets and coupler apart and scrub them. Even bars do this, it is a matter of hygene.
          Last edited by djc; 08-01-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
            You need to clean the system regardless of whether or not you are serving the same beer. How long have you been using this set up without cleaning? If you have rear closing faucets I'm going to bet you've got all kinds of crud growing in the mechanism. Hell even with forward sealing you've probably got stuff in there. You need to take the faucets and coupler apart and scrub them. Even bars do this, it is a matter of hygene. I'm going to guess you aren't in either engineering or biochemistry classes.
            Thanks for some of the tips, but I'd appreciate if you left out the condescending responses. I was just looking for help and insight from people with experience.
            Thanks.

Comment

You know I self edited that at 10:56 because it was jerky, but I guess you were faster on the button. Sorry about that, it was not my intention to be a jerk. Looking back at when you started posting, if you haven't cleaned the system in a year of sparadic use, you might want to pitch the lines and then stay up on it. Definately scrub the coupler and faucets good.

Comment

Red Beard,
                I don’t know if there IS a right answer, I guess I’d say depends. For long draw remote systems like most bars and some home units, cleaning beer line is the way to go, often and thoroughly. If single tap and can easily snake beer line through tower then maybe fine. But the real question should be how many kegs could a beer line handle before NEEDING to be cleaned. I know a bar with long beer lines don’t clean their lines after EVERY keg, yes you should clean the faucet pretty often, coupler a little less so, but I think the beer line can handle several kegs (or should it be measured in days exposed to beer?). Maybe an expert or technician can weigh-in on what a beer line can handle. I myself do both, I leave the beer line hooked (without cleaning for a couple of kegs about 6 months), then the next keg I cut old line and replace with recycled clean line, I clean faucet and coupler every keg (3 months). None of my lines show any discoloration, no foam issues, 2+ years and 4 lines, no problems. The biggest minus in the replacing line is the pain of fitting line over barb and attachment of clamps. If there were an easier way to do that then I’d go with replace lines with new beer line every time but with barb, tailpiece and hex system, cleaning might be the best and cheapest (yet labor intensive) method. Again this is all dependent on how much a beer line can handle, I know darker beers can cause beer stone faster and what the experts say about how much a beer line can handle (by keg or time) and also rate of consumption of beer is a consideration.
                KB

Comment

Originally posted by Red Beard View Post
                  Thanks for some of the tips, but I'd appreciate if you left out the condescending responses. I was just looking for help and insight from people with experience.
                  Thanks.
                  No one here wishes to be condescending. Chill out. Lots of good people here just wishing to further the art of home draft beer. And there was no need for a poll but I will let that slide, no big deal.

Anyway, cleaning your lines with religious ferocity, whether it be every two weeks or after every keg, generally is sufficient. Unless you see critters growing in the lines they should not necessarily have to be replaced. You can find a very good cleaning solution on this site. And no, I don't work for Micromatic. Later.

THE ICEMAN
                  My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                  "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                  -Dave Barry-
                  "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                  Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                  -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                  X